Forum Name: Live-Courses.com Support
Forum Discription: Private Support Forum for Current Students
URL: http://forum.producertech.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2093
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2019 at 1:04am

Topic: OK started but falling at 1st hurdle
Posted By: chasb441
Subject: OK started but falling at 1st hurdle
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 6:56am
Still waiting on solution for no download of course files but hey.....ever forward i guess but....on Robs 2nd video at @10 mins he is explaining how to shorten a drum clip from 1 bar down to 1/2 a bar and doing so increases the speed of the clip. Will I'm trying that following the video and my clip stays at the same beat....no doubling....so I'm missing what peeps ???

-------------
Keep On Smiling....You Never Know When It Might All End

Replies:
Posted By: morganlefaye
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 7:30am
ALRIGHT BUDDY.... sorry to hear your still not sorted with course files

as to your other query.... i may be wrong(carnt remember that bit).... but when you shorten a clip on the drum sample from 1 bar to half you are doubling the rate in relation to your global tempo

so over a period of 1 bar which would normally be a 4/4 if you had for argument sake a kick sample 1 whole note (1bar long) and you shorten the sample by half... this would result in having 2 half notes (or 2 beats per bar)

if you shortened it again to quarter notes you would have 4

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 7:33am
Hi Morgan..... that's what I thought but for some reason, the way Rob explains it I should be seeing a doubling in the clips speed.... ditto if the 1 bar clip is extended over 2 bars....he describes it slows the beat by 50%.....not got that happening with my clip....it shortens or extends but stays at the original beat ie 120 bpm

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 7:51am
ohhhhhh I think that is time stretching....... are transient markers mentioned???? 

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 7:55am
yes, Rob says to remove all markers present apart from the start and end......done that but still no cx in tempo

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 8:06am
also know as warping....

so you can move those markers left or right to give the clip a fixed timing so if you drag the end marker to half length. that should do the trick
so you can have a bit of fun with any sample.... stretch or compress the wave form altering time an pitch.... much like speeding up or slowing down a turntable

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 8:12am
yep... that's it........but the clip I'm using stays at the same tempo ..... shortened or lengthened....same 120 bpm !!! lol

suspect its a setting but being a novice....not seeing whats wrong yet...'steep learning curve one has taken I suspect' !! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 8:19am
try a different sample and tell us what happens!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 8:23am
will do morgan......would like to have tried the same sample as rob but as yet !!!!! LOL still no course files...think Rob was having to upload to dropbox for me. will let you know...thanks for your help ... yet again ! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 8:34am
Yeah i know what you mean..... but im thinking it might be a preference thing... as some loops/sample come as fixed.. and the only way to alter them is to re record them or change preference

if your short on samples....In the mean time why not sign up to loop masters.... you can browse everything they have to offer and most packs you can download samples from it.... (for trail purposes only) try before you buy or have a bit of fun with...as they are not licensed for use in production 

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 8:41am
spot on morgan......copied the sample into another file and used in another clip and bingo !!!! shortened clip and it doubled its speed !!!!!! tops.....I presume the files that Rob used would not have caused the same issue !!!! cheers ! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 9:50am
sweet.... glad we sorted that 1 out... you will tend to notice more there are certain loops you cannot freely play with... so as said i record the loop onto another track

just send Rob another private message... i just imagine he is very busy right now

Posted By: RobJones
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 10:35am
Hey Charlie,

Yeah, as Dave has been saying, the reason it doubles in speed is because I was dragging the waveform transients, not just the loop bracket, or start and end points. The arrow markers above the waveform are for setting the points where the clip stops and starts (lower arrows) or loops (upper arrows/bracket) when loop is turned on. The markers on the waveform itself (the grey downwards pointing arrows that become bolder when you move the mouse along the waveform) are transient pseudo markers, which allow you to drag the waveform around to change the timing of the audio..... All I do in the module session is to drag the end of the loop to a beat half way through the clip (the beats are shown at the very top of the waveform display), which then makes the clip play twice as fast.

It can be confusing at first, but watch it though again and you should get it! Let me know if not and I'll do another video demo for you....

I've sent you a dropbox link for the CORRECT COURSE PACK now!!

Cheers,

r

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 12:53pm
are you sorted now Chasb?

Print Page | Close Window