Forum Name: Ableton Live Forum
Forum Discription: Ableton Specific Chat Forums
URL: http://forum.producertech.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1959
Printed Date: 25 Mar 2019 at 11:08pm

Topic: THE SUNDAY POST
Posted By: morganlefaye
Subject: THE SUNDAY POST
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 8:01pm
THIS THREAD.....Is for all those who would like to take part in a community feedback
regardless of being a partial or complete tracks made through the week.

it will give us all the opportunity to get help or to explain a little more in depth certain processes in how you have developed a sound, maybe someone would like to replicate your sound... or refine the sound you are working on.....

ITS ALL ABOUT JOINT EFFORT PEOPLE!!! YOU will still have the ultimate decision in which direction to take your track
although there is nothing wrong with a little bit of sharing and advice from a few more ears...

I shall kick things off in the post below

Replies:
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 8:18pm
SO...Im as fresh as it comes to starting a new project....

Here is my http://snd.sc/QN5ead" rel="nofollow - DRUM PATTERN i am trying to create a swing/groove in my mix..that has been missing in all my projects so far

Im using the 808 kit... grouped on 8 seperate tracks so i can really compress filter and EQ each sound to how i want it to stand out in the pattern...
its not much more complicated than that other than...I have made a few tweeks here and there to make it my own
AND ..... i am using CORPUS on the KICK DRUM & CLAP...

over to you....if you like this sound ask for settings....or if you think something sounds not quite right...id appreciate you bringing this to my attention

PeaceYing Yang

-------------

Posted By: Monte32
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 3:13am
Dave Is the kick on beat 1? (downbeat) and is that a 808 tom playing throughout the bar?
just trying to picture in my head whats going on

SUNDAY POST
Good timing for me as I have just finished a track. Haven't spent as much time on it as usual but I think it turned out ok.
Tried alot of different approaches and techniques in this track. Started off mainly trying to get sounds on their own frequency but its not as easy as it sounds. I think I ended up with some sounds here and there on the same frequency. But hopefully it's not to muddy.

Any feedback or questions most welcome! enjoy 

http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/scoop-diggity" rel="nofollow - http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/scoop-diggity

-------------
www.MonteProductions.com.au

Posted By: RobJones
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 8:39am
Sunday 'post'! Love it! (puns are pretty much the entire basis of my sense of humour!)

Great idea guys. Setting a rough deadline for yourself each week is an awesome thing to do! I'll give all the tracks a listen and feed back when I get a moment.....

r

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 5:58pm
Tongue you have a great sense of humour then

hey up monte...the kick is on the first beat of the bar & mid+low toms are 1.4 2.4 3.4 4.4
listened to your track i like whats is going on.... i noticed the wave form to be very thin!!! any thoughts on adding melodics or harmonies?
it has a nice hard edge to it.. and great as a section on the track where you can actually take it to that point...the breaks are adequate to.....though i would like to hear abit of relief....carnt describe exactly what i mean by that other than NO OFFENCE... you did say yourself you spent little time on it...and thats the impression i get from the track

-------------

Posted By: ealinger
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:58am
http://soundcloud.com/elilinger/2012-08-19" rel="nofollow - http://soundcloud.com/elilinger/2012-08-19

Ok guys, better a little late than never... 11:57 Sunday night here on the West Coast.  I'll try to take a listen to everyone's work when I get back from work tomorrow night.  

Really looking forward to hearing everyone's work!

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 3:37pm
Some feedback for you...

Dave - the drum pattern is nice! Some comments though... the clap shifts around a bit. Are you using chorus as an insert? Or some other modulation effect perhaps? Maybe, have it as a send effect or bring its dry/wet balance down a bit to centralise it if so. It seems to be wandering about in the stereo field a bit at present.

Also, you could get more width into the high frequency parts as they're all in the middle, e.g. the hats and shaker. How about using some stereo (short) delay effects on those?

Andrew - the sense of space and width in your mixes has improved no end! The arrangement is quite random in places, such is your style it seems! I like the simplest bits the best, for example 1.01-1.12 and 2.26-2.40. In these sections, all the parts are working well together and there's a clear sense of key - Ab.

Earlier on, the key seems to shift about and the lead parts can confuse this further. Around the 1.30 mark, the track seems to get a bit lost. The lead part that comes in during the break has some interesting intervals going from the Ab down to a D, which is a dissonant interval. Then, when the bass comes back in, the synth part also has an E in it, so the two parts combined sound a bit off, or multitonal (like there are 2 keys going on). If you're after an experimental track then these techniques are fine but the norm in house music is to have a clearer sense of key and nicer intervals!

Eli - sounding great! big and nicely balanced mix. Maybe you could get more dynamics in the track if you had the low continuous bass part sidechained by a 4 4 kick (that's muted)? It would mean that bass was a bit more interesting and dynamic with more of a pulse.

You could maybe also get a bit more contrast by having parts drop out a bit more, e.g. for the bar at 0.58 when the snares come in, you could drip everything else out, or filter them at least, so there's more impact when the bass drops. You could also add a high frequency part at the same time as the bass dropping maybe, e.g. some hats perhaps. If not when the bass drops, then maybe 8 bars later.... it definitely feels like the track needs more cymbals!

good work guys, great idea to get this post going!

r

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 4:56am
Hi mlf, 

Just took a listen to your new drum break... definitely has a interesting tribal feel to it.  I agree with Rob on the claps, i think they are clattering around a bit. This could be nice at moments, but you might find they will muddy up your track as you add elements later.  Maybe that chorus effect is something you bring in at a specific time in the mix when you have some space.  

There's also a slight background "riniging", which I think is from the kick.  It's sort of distracting, but also kind of interesting... it might give you a clue as to what kind of sound you might want to add next.  

Interested to see what kind of secondary percussion you layer on top of this, especially if it proceeds in a tribal direction.  

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 5:33am
Hi Andrew,

This is my first listen to one of your tracks... you have a unique and interesting sound!  I'm just learning too so take my comments with a grain of salt...  

General comments:
I think there are a lot of cool sections here, as Rob mentioned.  I like the muted analog(?) synth sound that comes in from the beginning a lot... though the somewhat random snare hits to me detract from the interesting undulating quality.  It wonder what would happen if the section that drops in at :14 was the same or related to that earlier muted synth.

Also, the kind of buzzing effect of the snare hits is so frequent that the interesting effect kind of it wears off.  Maybe choose a couple of moments where that comes in for maximum impact?  

Eqing seems to be kind of muffled or something... everything sounds a little like it's far away. 

Most of the melodies or loops seem to hang around long enough to become a theme or repeated pattern that comes back, so this could be a kind of new, freer style.  Or, You could also look at this more like a catalog of interesting sounds and sections.  Then you could mine it for the best say 4 or 5 and really control each part, which might result in a more cohesive whole.   

I think you've got a totally original style... i think the more you can control your elements (without loosing the freedom of it), the better it will get.

E

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 9:06am
Hey guys I have been busy as! off to army in a sec . Ill try get as much in as I can before I go.

Some feedback:
Dave

Really like your drum beat I think it is definately something you can build off! I wanted to hear a extra tom here and there, but this could either ruin or spice it up.. all depends what you want. I agree with the snare ...sounding like some kind of effect which may be good in a section, but maybve not for the whole song.

Eli

first impressions = excellent! 
You have some really nice powerfull synths (the kind I like ) were they in operator/analog?
Love the random snare hit in the build up at 47secs'ish (dont know why but it got me thinking something was about to happen , but it didnt)
Only listeneded to it twice so far. 
Feels like it is missing something..not sure was it is but....a shaker on a high freq as Rob said I think would be awesome :) but dont over use it..me thinks anyway...
On the long sustained notes maybe try (not sure if it will work) add a compressor set ratio to INF and threshold down about half way or more. Might bring it to life even more! or destroy it! haha . something to try...im only new aswell.

Feedback Replies 

Dave - thanks man yea I should totally spend more time on it.. kinda felt like it was done in my head ..but yea could of made it better in time. Will try add some ambience or something and see how it turns out :)

Rob

I think you very cleverly picked up my lack of knowledge of key signatures! HA! I dont know how you do that ie: know what key and notes are being played!?!? lots of ear training?
We are covering this in class soon so it is going to help imensly. I have a cheat sheet for key signatures but I didnt use it for this song! can't believe its that obvious!
I really thing using proper keys and harmonic intervals is going make a big difference to my music
As for the arrangement.....what can I say......My mind reverted back to my old self! but with a hint of arrangement! I dont know if it's a style but I dont really listen to other music when I;m making something so I guess that turn out whats more in my head than whats on the radio.
Thanks heaps for the feedback..was a bit of a experiment with beat repeat and more of a jamming session than a properly laid out piece. Also experiemented with operator and the many audio effects racks..

Eli

hey! thanks for listening :) 
I thik I know what you mean about the synth at the start :) its actually just a snare drum with 3 hits a bar..but it has effects on it so sound like a synth. it has REVERB, PING-PONG, and BEAT REPEAT. oh and a EQ8 so it is sittiing where I wanted it on the frequency band. Clever little trick that beat repeat. (It's in the advanced tutorial with Rob) Thumbs Up thanks Rob.
Well there are actually 2 diff snares on diff trackswith heavy effects both sound like synths a bit
I agree the snare effect was definately overused and gets boring and repeatitive pretty quickly, good pickup.
EQ'ing is definately not my strong point..I think you are picking up on something else there.
Thanks for the encouraement! Look forward to hearing more from you
peace

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:57am
thanks for the comments... the corpus is an insert rather than a send...but i hope im right in saying its not the reason my clap seems to be all over the place
it is 2 claps slightly off set from the main beat.... I am trying to achieve a kind of crunchy effect...probably better to understand with the claps in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdttqKok4gw&feature=share" rel="nofollow - Kerli
Thanks for reinforcing my thoughts on a simple delay for my hats too (wasnt sure)when i first thought about it

Eli....
i listened to your track and it seemed very familiar... then i realised i have heard the other posts that a similar on sound cloud
would like some insight to what you did to create the sounds at 45 seconds & 49 that a repeated through out

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 7:56am
Andrew and Dave,

You asked what synths I was using... primarily I'm using Operator and Analog.  Main stab that comes in at :45 is operator with some filter modulation and an arpeggiator automated on for the first section before the bass comes in. The arp turns off after the first section and I had a reverb effect come in at that point. 

The other sound that Dave asked about is Operator with a ping-pong delay on it.  I'm eq'ing each of these pretty heavily to try to bring out a little texture in the hi-mid frequencies. 

Let me know if you guys have further questions....

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 8:32am
well it's almost Sunday already! ( for me anyway) and I only started a song today...well technially last night but I didnt like the idea so I scrapped it and started another one.

How is everyone travelling?

Looking forward to hearing how tracks have developed or new tracks.

I am quietly excited about my latest track, but I don't think it will be everyone...it has a very powerful synth noise or three :)
Anyway only got about a minute recorded so far ..so if I can avoid a hangover tomorrow I will build on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 5:28pm
Ha, I hear you on the hangover thing Dave, I can't do anything creative if I've had one too many the night before.

It's only Sat morning here, but I'll have a new version of my track uploaded by Sunday night. Looking forward to hearing everyone's progress...

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 6:33pm
hey you guys!!! this is what i look like the day after the night before...so tend not to bother drinking

As for the next stage of my track... had something going and fell apart on me....some how lost the sound!! Confused

so i have finally got around to checking out the Advanced course...sidechaining this afternoon which i think will be really helpful to take something really simple and shape the sound....
Im glad to watch this vid for only the second time.... And actually make sense of it.. After certain things were explained in great detail in a recent thread..... I BET YOU HAVE BEEN DISTRACTED THE WHOLE TIME SO FAR WITH THIS-------->>
Always there in the corner of your eye....i know i have and keep laughing...oh dear!!!

I will end on this note # It will be interesting to see what i come up with from sculpting a single note or 2.... instead of trying to create the movement of the sound with notes alone

PeaceYing Yang

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:03am
Haha nice pic! and yes very distracting. That is also why I don't drink much anymore.

That's no good you lost your sound. That also happened to me once..all my files just vanished..
I think I will revisit some advanced course tutorials today also, it normally sparks some ideas and reminds me of things forgotten.
Sidechaning is a very powerful technique and create some interesting effects :)
I still hear people on the radio using it all the time...

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 4:47am
Here is my Sunday post.. It is set to private 

http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/w-i-p" rel="nofollow - http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/w-i-p/s-eb0bi

It asked to me add people so they can listen to it...Do I need to do this?

anyways still needs alot of work in the arrangement. Haven't done any mastering...And I am considering changing up a few bits n pieces.. and maybe adding some ambience.. Might keep working on this for a few days or a week..it has some potential in it somewhere..

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 9:36am
yeh monte the link is broken

when you share a private link ...just copy the secret link...from the box that pops up

you can edit your last post and amend your hyperlink

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 10:39am
Link updated, sorry didnt see the secret link.. I just realised I really need to add some panning effects to the high freq noises...I will try that this week when I get time

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:39pm
monte... its still broken buddy Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:58pm
Ah crap just got into bed. I'll fix it tomorrow...guess it will still be Sunday somewhere in the world .
That's weird though..I used the secret link in the box.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 7:04am
http://soundcloud.com/elilinger/2012-08-25" rel="nofollow - http://soundcloud.com/elilinger/2012-08-25

Hey Guys,

Wanted to push this a little more to get the structure of the entire song out, but life got in the way a little bit today. 

Tried to work in the hi frequency sounds that everyone felt were lacking last week.  I've been focusing on building some energy into the track, using filters and some variation in one of the analog synth lines.  I'm starting to think that I want the main riff to emerge out of these variations, but it will take me a little experimentation to find the right sound.

The mix is also starting to sounding like it's going to need some tweaking when all these elements are playing at the same time, but that's not my focus at the moment.  I hope to have a rough cut of the entire song by Friday my time!

Any and all feedback welcome, as usual...  I'll drop in tomorrow to take a listen to anything people have posted at that time.

E

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 8:50am
OK...So... I uploaded a newer version..here is the secret link...if this doesn't work I guess I will have to make it public..

http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/work-in-progress/s-eAJIk

I copied and pasted it and it worked for me

You will have to ignore all the volume  levels.. they are all out ...

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:04am
Eli

You have definately made the song better with those higher frequencies :)
It's good to see how a track evolves. There is more a sense of space with the filters which is good.
This songs reminds me of something..cant remember what exactly though.

At the 1.30 'ish mark I was hoping for the drums to change. Where you have the build up and introduce the new sounds I was hoping for a change. I like the snare you use in the build up. What does the beat sound like if you use that snare from the 1:30 mark onwards in the main beat?
I feel as though the song is being restricted by the drums somewhat as it's kinda the same throughout. But this is  what you could of wanted? I think (my own opinon of course) is to change up the drums abit at the 1:30 mark or a slightly different variation.
Maybe something to try or not..
Hope this helps 

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:12pm
Right then...!!! they call a Bank Holiday Monday an extended Sunday Wink just made that up...sorry for my lateness-ness for posting.
so Ill do this and check out your stuff...

so I tried to put a bass loop together just using a single crotchet on 1 bar
then to a sustained note for a semibreve... then 4 crochets per bar
and im suprised what i can actually do with just a few notes..with side chains

1 thing I dont get is....as you might hear...is.... what sounds like the sound has split like extreme panning!!!???
Im using Analogue.... and this split sound only seems to happen when i turn the volume up on AMP2

http://snd.sc/OEZly2" rel="nofollow - Analogue bass

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:40pm
Hey up

ELI
yeah it is sounding good.....I have mentioned this already as monte has about how familiar the sound is...like i can't quite place it
may be it is similar to something or you have very cleverly...created a piece of music that gives you an instant connection to it ( like you have created a memorable memory in my life I have no memory of )Smile

can i ask how you make arrangement??? do you kind of lay out the drums..... then layer the bass and so on?????
and another question.... have you used any samples on this track or is every sound designed by you?

Monte

top sound you got going on there... you seem to roll out good bass lines.... as i have said before a pleasurable toxin hit to my brain
nice drums and break downs.....from the looks and sound has a good structure to build on & has the definite makings of you best track yet....so please don't rush this buddy....

PeaceYing Yang

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:25am
Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback... I think I got your name confused with Dave's a couple posts back, sorry about that.

I agree that the drums are perhaps a little static.  I was considering switching to a 4-4 after one of the builds, but so far that hasn't had the effect I've been looking for... I'll probably have to construct a new breakbeat to mix it up.  I'll test out whether the snare from the build has a place in there.

I'll try to take a listen to your submission here in a sec...

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:02am
Hey Dave , just listened to your track, not on the best sound systen as I am at work.

It is sounding really good. I'm not sure if thats 1 synth or 2 synths in the lead up to the drums. But it starts clean and gets dirtier . I really like that.  Definately got some nice sounds out of te synth.
I am liking the main part with the drums aswell. has a nice flow.
The sidechaning works well too.
Not sure what constructive critism I can give at the moment, except maybe the beginning could have something extra in it.
But maybe this will change the whole build up structure..so you would have to carry it all the way through to the beat.
Well done though!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:16am
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the comments.  It's funny that you and Andrew both think this song sounds familiar to you... I really don't have any answers for you on why that would be.  It's not a remix and I'm not using any samples aside from very generic drum samples... everything else is synthesized in midi tracks,  primarily w/ operator or analog.  I've started out with a couple of the instrument rack presets for some tracks, but I've tweaked most of them significantly.  

Processwise, I've really tried to push everything along together as much as I can...  I started in session view with the drums, bassline and main synth stab I suppose, with some variations of each.  I also had a bunch of other pads, synth lines, and secondary percussion, but I ended up cutting a lot of those out.  I wasn't too concerned with structure when I was recording from session view to arrangement, more just trying to get some good juxtapositions and find some interesting moments.  There was some structure there at that point, but I didn't really keep it, it was just something to start working with. 

Then I took the parts that seemed to be working best and tried to build up to them in a more linear fashion, developing the song along the timeline.   I had to go back and switch out drum samples and add effects as I went though... it took me some time to find out where the space is in the arrangement was to insert these.  It's also been helpful for me to identify where I want the transitions to occur and then really work on them over and over til they seem right.  

It's easy for me to get fixated on something that doesn't seem to be working, but if it's working well enough, I've been trying to move on to keep the process going forward.  You can always tweak it later or take it out, but getting all the pieces in place has helped keep me from getting stuck.

I don't know if any of this is helpful... I guess the main idea for me has been to try to have a plan, but be opportunistic when something starts to work and don't be afraid to change your approach.  Also, most nights I make an mp3 of the progress I've made and listen to it on the way to work, or going to sleep or whatever.  I tend to get a lot of my ideas after listening to sections when I'm away from the computer, then making a mental note of what to try when I get back to working. 

Hope this helps!
E

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 3:38am
Hey Andrew,

Just took a listen to your track... sounds really good!  I think it's definitely got some potential to make a great track.  

My comments:
The structure is vastly improved... you can really start to see the outlines of a song, rather than a jam session.  Keep it up. 

I'm not sure if there is a reverb effect on your drum kit that's causing this, but the drums kinda feel far away.  For me, I think it would be nice to have the drums a little more in the forefront.  The kick could get a little bigger too perhaps?
Also, I'm not sure what the frequency spectrum looks like on this song, but it sounds like it might be missing some high frequency...

I'm excited to see how the structure of the song further progresses and what the next element you add in might be! 

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 3:49am
Dave,

Just got a listen to your track... pretty sweet.  The first few seconds I thought you were going for a stripped down prog house sound, but then it went all psy-trance, which is cool. F genres anyway. 

It's really nice how you take a sound like this that starts as a rhythmic element and it kind of evolves into a melodic one...  Right now that transition is somewhat abrupt from one 8 bar phrase to the next(you can see it in the waveform), but it might be interesting to try to find a continuous transition from rhythmic sections to melodic ones and back again... could give a nice organic feel.  

You seem to be developing each of tracks one at a time, right?  Like last week you worked on the drums, then this week you've added in this bass element.  Is your plan to build up a small section of a track one element at a time, then to try to expand it into an entire track?  I'm curious about your process...

E

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 4:53pm
thanks Eli....
I was just demonstrating sound created using single note, sustained note, multiple notes so i get the transient with the sustain..... then turning up the amp on a second oscillator to create a bigger effect of the sound
but i like how it sound as you mention switching between them for a fresh organic feel. i will definitely use an envelope to modulate the sound to get more life out of it
TO BE HONEST IM NOT SURE WERE I AM TAKING MY MUSIC... OTHER THAN A STYLE OF MY OWN....which at the moment is a mishmash of genre.... and im not sure im at the stage of creating a NEW MOVEMENT on the dance scene.

MY PROCESS...
Yeah Eli...... I think I would like feed back on each part of the track (each component) to get better feedback on it ... to develop each part better than as a whole
thats kind of my idea on how i want to approach this thread
hearing everyone else individual parts over weeks an the overall coming together of the track...... but that is entirely optional with the style in which you work....but interesting as a talking point and easier to hear what is going on

so all i do really is make short loops ...compile 7 or so tracks together thats workable together... the start playing with each clip... extending loops changing the patterns an go mad with effects.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 11:52pm
Another option could be to upload the alp files..thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 12:44am
hey up Monte / Eli.....Romans & fellow country men..... that is something that occurred to me ....and now that you mention it.... it sounds a brilliant idea coming from you Thumbs Up

i was kindly introduced to http://https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTYyMTM3NDUxOQ?src=global9" rel="nofollow - DROP BOX..... https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTYyMTM3NDUxOQ?src=global9
which is pretty dam cool for sharing files & stuff

This way we can see exactly what is going on... settings on devices/spectrum

I THINK WE MAY NEED TO DECIDE.... WEATHER TO POST THE FILES DIRECTLY ON HERE TO THE THREAD ...OR CREATE A PASSWORDED RAR FILE ..so those who are showing a keen interest HAVE ACCESS

SO....Monte/Eli..... thoughts please

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 8:29am
Not sure how the password rar thing works but sounds like a good idea :)
Do you upload it onto this forum as a rar file? Don't think I have ever put a password on a rar before

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 12:12pm
YEH IM THINKING ....might be defeating the object of drop box!!!!using winrar aswell........ do you have a drop box account? if so PM email ad.... an ill try to share a file with you

-------------

Posted By: Joao_Rei
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:03pm
Hey guys, so I am super bummed that I missed this thread... Started reading today but too much happening... I hope this is an every week thing so that I can join in this Sunday... This Sunday post thing, I think will be AWESOME!!!

-------------
Catch my Sounds on Soundcloud : www.soundcloud.com/dj-rei

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:12pm
Alright buddy

where have you been!!! Smile
its not been rolling for that long... but it is working well

you are more than welcome my friend.... just post a part sample or what ever stage you are at with your project

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:25pm
Even if they are just riffs or whatever

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:31pm
yeh even if its a drum kick or reverse cymbal.....

just ANY sample or at any stage kick to master

Im only gonna be posting a riff in the key of Eb..... this week end

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:40pm
Cool I'll be looking forward... I'll then also post something, was thinking of rendering it out now...

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:46pm
there is no strict rule to when you post really.... if your keen and want to post now... that is ok

you can catch up and post again on sunday Thumbs Up    Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:54pm
Oh ok, no it is cool, I've rendered out and posted it on soundcloud as a private track... I'll only share the link on Sunday... I want to keep to this threads thing so that it stays awesome... Waiting for Sunday and hearing everybody's stuff will be awesome... So check you all here on this thread on Sunday Hug

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 8:16pm
Phew... I made it! Sundays are hectic with family... OK I got my Sunday Post ready Cool

Check it out... I just wanted to make a dance loop that can maybe be worked with a nice melodic break now and then...

http://snd.sc/NG4M32" rel="nofollow - http://snd.sc/NG4M32

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 9:16pm
yep here we are again people

As you may quickly cotton on....or not..

I have scrapped everything I have done over the last couple of weeks.... it went wrong from the very start(easily correctable) but...In the end i decided it wasnt taking itself any where...despite my efforts to force feed it .....so it died a quiet and reverberant death when i hit the stop button R.I.P

So on to the birth of my new vision....
this is just my scratch pad...so..... it just basic instruments for the time being & many elements are incomplete or missing

so there is a lead/riff which i kind of like
i have a very basic bass line.... which im working on next
there is the kick and i threw on some claps to give a sense of rhythm

http://soundcloud.com/myinner-child/prog-house-project-forum/s-fIkCg" rel="nofollow - http://soundcloud.com/myinner-child/prog-house-project-forum/s-fIkCg

http://snd.sc/PBFej0" rel="nofollow -

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 6:55am
Hey, Got a chance to listen to your post... I like the rifft as well... It's happy... I can hear there are things missing... I think a nice hi-hat groove would sound maybe nice... But think some automated filters on the base that slowly open up just be for the lead kicks in, then close the filter again immediately, BUT not all the way... I think you can take this track and turn it into a nice happy tune that we can play...

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 9:16am
Rei

I like  the bass has a nice dirty feel to it. My favourite part would be the higher frequencies escpecially when the kick doesn't hit. sounds cool
The kick drum I am not 100% convinced. I can't decide whether I like it or not. Have you experimented with a few others? It definately gives it a certain feel with the current one. Track is called hardass and it definately has a hard kick :)

Dave

Nice rhythm . Got some great sounds going on.
I think it works well with the different sounds following the same rhythm . I really like the higher pitched one of the two, reminds me of being in a club. Has a kinda anthem feel to it. I am imagining it with some ambience behind it and sounding REALLY GOOD.
I think you have some great base sounds for a track, something to build off :)

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 12:04pm

Hey guys just spent a little time to get something in..but have only spent maybe a hour or so on this..it isnt much.
what ive done so far

* made a new drum rack with a reversed hi-hat , kick drum( has 3 kicks to make 1 ), a fairly quiet clap, closed hat. all sitting on different parts of the freq range.
On the the returns I have added simple delay, reverb, ping pong but I havent really used them much at all.

* the bass is just  2x osc in operator one with the square digital and one with white noise..needs alot of work.

Does anyone know why that when I click "fixed" on a osc in operator and set the freq. Changing the note pitch has no effect on the overall sound....quite odd...or maybe it does and I just cant hear it because its set to such a low freq..

I think I just answered my own question lol."fixed"

http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/10-1/s-q2blp

again if you cant click on this link..just copy and paste into your browser. cheers

<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 1:08pm
Gonna spend some time listening to the last couple of weeks' contributions and feedback over the next few days. Was a bit busy last week!

r

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 9:30am
I think I have decided to do a mellow 'ish track compared to my normal. and the one I uploaded for sunday post

Same beat, different operator, added ambience.

http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/11-1/s-ZAXXT

thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 4:43pm
hey up guys.... listened to you posts... missing an Eli this week tho!!!

joao.... you certainly have the makings of a hard ass track...is there a delay or echo effect on there?

monte... ill comment on you ambience.... what a difference to the earlier gritty edition
have to admit im still struggling to reach a sound i want with most instruments.... a bit more practice is in order me thinks...... which device name?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 6:08pm
Nope , no delay or echo... Just a (Dry/wet) Automated reverb...

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 6:09pm
Monte: I love that ambient version... It's perfect to my ears... I hope it turns into a track so that I can listen to it... It's so deep housey

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 6:10pm
I probably ment reverb.... 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 6:12pm
Oh, Yes there is some reverb... 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 7:11pm
Hey guys,

I spent some time listening to your posts earlier and here's my feedback...

ELI

I would still bring in a hat or some other rhythmic part from 0.30 when the drums come in. They sound very minimal and could use some more parts to add a groove of some kind. There's not much syncopation here either which makes it feel a little straight. By that I mean, the synth is on semiquavers, the kick on crotchets (downbeats) and a quaver on the third beat, and the snare on the 2nd and 4th beats.

The occasional bass hits are great though, especially at 0.41/0.42, where the delay is nice and long, and the delayed percussion. I'm not sure about the dry stabs in certain places of the track, such as 1.08 - they need more effects or maybe a filter sweep so they slide into the next beat. They sound a bit odd and stand out a bit much as they are.

I'd like to hear a crash or something on 0.30 too, to emphasize the beat coming in more, or perhaps an FX impact, like a sweep of white noise. Generally more FX sweeps would help add to the intro and links between sections of the song.

The track could use a bit more contrast, between sections and throughout as well. The bass is nice, but having sustained notes constantly does make the track a bit flat, which is why people often have the bass pumping in tracks, either having the level going up or down by sidechaining it with a (muted) kick on every 1/4 beat, or having a filter envelope create an interesting pattern with the upper frequencies. Then, as you lead up to a different section, you could have a longer filter sweep on the bass - I can hear there's one from 1.30-1.32, but it's very brief, you could have this happening over 2 bars rather than 2 beats to create more of a drop and build.

HARD ASS

Nice start. It's simple but the parts sound solid and work well together. The kick is nice and chunky and the bass is well rounded. The breaks when the beat drops out are pretty cool but could use a bit more variation - FX sweeps, flanged percussion, lead sounds from later in the track, filtered bass hits etc. - the high frequency bass reverb tail is a bit quiet in this section on its own and could use more to provide a build into the next beat drop. Coming together well so far though.

PROG HOUSE PROJECT

Sounding great Dave. Nice syncopation in the bass part. Kick is well mixed, good bottom and top end. Love the harmonies on the higher synth part that comes in at 0.15. Sounds a bit odd when it drops out to just bass at 0.30 - you're probably planning on adding something else there? It could use an FX sweep or something, other wise it sounds like the track's going backwards rather than developing! Perhaps a white noise sweep or impact that filters out or has a long reverb trail and then a build-up towards the other parts coming back in. You could always do something a little different with the bass in these sections too, perhaps something unexpected like a random change in rhythm or a slight pause and then a faster run of notes before the other parts rejoin…

I'm looking forward to hearing more hats and high frequency parts add to the beat too! Nice start though! I'm interested to hear how you develop it….

Another interesting idea Monte. Not much to comment on at this stage but I like where it's going! Nice rhythmic variation in the synth part. Like the change in rhythm at 0.15. It's all a bit thin frequency-wise so far but that's good in an intro - now, it needs to filter out even more and build-up before you bring the groove back with some serious bass added! All I can say is, try to keep things simple.

You've got a good basis for a track here - try to develop it without adding too many different parts on top. Less is more! I would probably add a bass part that doubles the synth part in this intro but adds more bottom end, then have some mainly rhythmic parts, such as hats, percussion and FX to go with it. You could have some variation in the breaks between this groove, where different synth parts, pads and leads are introduced and provide some contrast, but then return to this groove after each break, rather than starting something new or changing it totally.

r

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 7:54pm
thanks Rob

feed back is good....the FX is something i will bear in mind when it comes to arrangement...as at the moment it is just a sample thrown together with all i had at the time

it has PROGRESSED
since the post... i have flavoured the lead a little as this is just a standard house preset in FireBird and i really want to make this my own
GOT SIDE TRACKED with writing 3 other bass parts... even though i knew i had to focus on the drum loop

today i have spent at length working on the rhythm section
and everything to my ear is complimenting one another

PeaceYing Yang

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 9:15pm
Thanks Rob...

This Sunday post had some really amazing stuff... I'm super impressed. . . I hope you guys turn these riffs into real, full productions... I can't wait for next Sunday Post Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 6:27am
Hey Guys,

Just got back from vacation, so obviously I'm behind...  I hope to get some time in here in the next day or so, but just wanted to let you all know I haven't left you!  And the group seems to have grown...

I'll try to take a listen and comment tomorrow around this time, so check back in if you care.  I'm excited to hear everyone's work!

I hope to have a full-length song by this Sunday, though I doubt I can pick up all of everyone's comments by then. Might have to just get the structure worked out then flesh it out for the 23rd...

Rob, I think this is the third time you've mentioned my monotonous bassline, so I think I'll have to try to take care of that soon...  My first attempts at sidechaining that thing just weren't working out with the mix, but it's probably my technique.  Guess I better go watch the lesson...

More later....
E

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 9:58am
haha sorry Eli!

r

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 10:34am
hi Eli

where did you go for you Vacation?

Your absence was noticed... glad it was for this reason

Im kind of eager to post mine

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 11:49am
I am looking forward to hearing everyones this weekend.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 5:38pm
I have a quick question...

Can we post W.I.P? Like a track that we are actually making... Not just a riff... Something we have spend lots of time on already??

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 5:44pm
alright Joao

you can post any part of a production.... what ever you want...

my next post is additions made from my last post ....as this is something im working on from start to finish

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 5:57pm
Smile OK cool thanks... I wanted to post the work from the track I posted last Sunday as well, BUT today I was working on another track and i'm eager for feedback of what I'm doing with it currently...

See You all on Sunday! Approve

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 4:53am
Alright guys, 

I managed to take a listen to all your postings from last week and I think some of the comments will be similar to what has been said, but so be it.

Joao:
First impressions:  

Welcome!  Good to hear your stuff... don't worry about posting whatever you have, the idea is just to keep everyone moving forward.  

I'm liking the bass sound, though I think it would be much better if it varied quite a bit more.  When I first listened to this, I was thinking that this would make a great interlude to a track between perhaps more melodic sections, or at least sections that had a different character to them... it seems to me that it might be hard to build a track with that hard bass sound all the way through.  Could be wrong though.  Also, adding some secondary percussion could be something to look at.

I also agree with Rob that the little stab in there is to quiet... maybe that instrument, whatever it is, could be something that you could build off of and take into the next section to weave them together. 

Dave:

You asked about my vacation... just went up to cabin with some friends here for a few days, swam in a river, that sort of thing.  Generally you have to leave SF to get anything like a summer day, even in August...  those who have been here will know what I'm talking about!

Sorry to hear about the death of your song... guess that happens sometimes.  I'm liking the new track a lot... though I totally agree with Rob that when your melodic "theme" drops @ :29 out it feels totally wrong.  Build that thing up rather than tearing down so fast.  Maybe try to make a few progressions/transpositions/variations then put some filters and effects on it to build tension... could be epic.

Andrew:

Hey man, I can't get to your links... did you take the songs down or something?  If you repost then I can take a listen if you care.

Ok, now I gotta get to work!  

E

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 11:37pm
Sunday Post

http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/calmdown" rel="nofollow - http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/calmdown

More of a chilled out mix. Struggled to get it as balanced as it is. 
Hope you enjoy.
Look forward to some feedback..cheers :)

Kick drum is distorting a little in my cheap headphones...I think this is a sign something isnt right...never happened before.
~ok had to re-upload... one of my kick drums was getting a terrible noise regardless of what eq setting or filters..had to delete it :(   
Had to adjust the bass as it was clicking and resonating terribly when I looked closer at it.
Man is it just this song or am I getting picky at little things I can hear now....hopefully it's my ear picking up more detail...far out..talk about last second dramas...

Anyway I think it pays to listen through different devices before uploading :)        Btw: I also noticed professional songs always sound good on whatever system...I am guessing this is due to in depth mastering?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 10:46am
My Sunday Post

http://snd.sc/UyyTsi" rel="nofollow - http://snd.sc/UyyTsi

OK so this is not from my earlier Sunday Post... This is a song I have spent time on... I am excited about all the new things I've done. What do you guys think??

BTW: I can't figure out what genre this is... I want to say progressive house because the original riff was progressive housey... But now after all these things I'm not sure...

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 10:58am
Rei

Impressive dude.
Theres alot going on and they seem to gel with each other nicely.
 I never found myself bored as there was always something to listen to whether it be in the foreground or the background.
About about the minute mark where you crank up the synth on the main melody( the one that stands out the most) is awesome. Especially the way you let those notes trail off with some effect. really nice.
I would like to know how you did that :)

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:37pm
Hi peeps
prog house project
Im gonna get my post in.... and check yours out later

since my last post i have changed the sound of the lead...added elements to my rhythm section.... and the bass still feels a bit boring
PLEASE NOTE....This is not my arrangement (although i have given it a feel of progression)....so please focus on what else is going on... positive/negative comments welcome
1 question i would like answering is.... do the volume levels sound ok???

http://snd.sc/Q7jsqt" rel="nofollow - progressive house project

PeaceYing Yang

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 9:54pm
Monte

This is really nice, I love the vibe. It is something I really would want to listen to, I can play it in my car and enjoy it. A friend of mine once said that if you can play it in a car then you know its something special... I love the way you arranged it... The kick does sound kinda funny... But now work on it, try and focus your sounds and get the track a little louder... It sounds really awesome... I want this song haha I love it... FANTASTIC work!!!

Morgan

So I listened a few times... I like the drums as a whole. The beats and changes are really impressive... As for the whole song I think the lead is a bit too little... It needs more. The base as well. I can see the song can become really good, just keep working your magic on it...
I really like the drums Clap...

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 6:01am
http://soundcloud.com/elilinger/2012-09-09" rel="nofollow - http://soundcloud.com/elilinger/2012-09-09

Ok guys, 4 caveats:

1. In my mind, i've been working on this as literally the first 2 minutes of a song... this isn't a compressed version of an entire track, but rather the first section in real time.  That may or may not affect your critiques.

2. the mix is a bit muddy, I know.

3. Sorry to make you keep listening to the same intro.

4. The bassline; Rob I know, I promise I'll get to it this week!

I'll be interested to hear if people think this is a step forward or a divergence... I'm torn myself.  Feel free to rip on it if you're not loving it.  I've got obligations tomorrow but I'll try to get my comments back to all of you by wed night. 

Ok, open season....

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 6:06am
I would really love to know how both you and Dave did you kick drums-was it made through oscillators, was it a sample, was it a sample with effects..if so what effects...I seem to be struggling in this area at the moment.

Dave

Dave is your kick the 808? 

The levels sound fine to me.

The bass sound and the rhythm sounds really good, it kinda sounds simple but for that reason I thnk it sounds good. It's not muddy and has a nice rhythm.

Definately has a progressive house feel to it, and that's without the arrangement.

The main melody has a really nice sound, is this 2 parts playing the same melody? Anyway im a fan of the sound . 

I am imagining a build up with this and sounding freakin awesome.

The drums I cant fault, they all have a nice clean , crisp sound and sit on there on frequency rangeThumbs Up

Overall- what you have there is the means for a great song.  

Btw have you tried adding some more ambience in the backgroud or something?  I tried with my song but couldnt get it to gel. :( .  just wondering if you had any similar problems.if so maybe we could put it to Rob on how to make this work better...but I am guessing it's all different for every track. There must be a few tricks for though I imagine.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 6:15am
Ealinger

I really wanted to hear what comes at the end of what your posted. :) Your track seems like it's on the verge of busting into something big the whole time .
I like the addition of the more added notes on the higher frequencies. Sounds good!
Goes a bit crazy for me at about the 1:30 mark ..but still works good.
More of a fan before the 1:30 mark with those notes.

Cant wait to hear what it busts into!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 10:28am
This Sunday post thing is actually hard because I am listening to really great ideas... The all sound awesome and I can't really find anything wrong with the riffs...

Ealinger

I like whats going on in your track, it sounds interesting. It's good. I see you already know whats wrong with it, base, its muddy at some parts... I do think you need to start working on the compression because it can only help you control your mix... 

I always start with getting the basics down then I start the compression stages and routing so that when I start making the track and have full control over the elements while I arrange and add... 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 10:50am
Hey Monte.

Thanks, I almost thought I was loosing the plot by having so much going on at parts of the track...

About your question...

I'm not a 100% sure what your asking about but at the minute mark I just opened up the main synths filter. There is another sound that follows the synth, but in the version I uploaded that follow sound had no real change... 

I think you are talking about the combination of the reverb and the delay on the main synth... Some of the notes have been taken away so there are little gaps of the sound, The reverb and delay fill those gaps. 

The order of the effects are, Synth; Filter; Delay; Reverb.

So The filter opens but only on the synth because the filter isn't touching the delay and reverb...

Adding all those together and opening the filter makes the effect... I think that's what you were talking about?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 11:13am
Thanks Rei,

When when you opened the filter slightly a really nice sound comes throughThumbs Up

Yea I was talking about the filter,delay,reverb.  So the notes are shortened a little so the sound carries on with the reverb and delay...nice effect. I just realised I do that by accident sometimes and I am left with some cool effects.
But I have never really planned it that way.

I see what you mean about your order of effects. By doing it that way the reverb and delay are seperate from the filter in a sense 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 11:59am
monte.....

i tend to favor the 808 and play with its settings and add corpus (kick medium) that adds character also tuning

you mention an issue with your kicks!! well i would suggest tuning your kick to the bass... i think this will help make it less obvious to the ear but maintain its principal

Eli

I feel like you are maybe putting to much into this track.... you have kind of ruined what makes it stand out... what i think is one of the main interests of the track
this being at 1.04.... this was really dominant.... but now sounds muffled orto much of an effect on it

Joao

you say my lead is not so big!! at the moment i am learning the basics
It possibly go bigger but not by much
i understand that progressive can generate a big build up to the lead.... but the lead just holds back... with just enough lift with out venturing into the realm of being too trancy..... then the lead builds up over time

As for your track...... are you making a remix ??? with out the added extras I know this tune at a slightly faster tempo

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by morganlefaye morganlefaye wrote:

monte.....
As for your track...... are you making a remix ??? with out the added extras I know this tune at a slightly faster tempo

Hey Morgan,

I'm not remixing anything, or at least that's what I think, I did create the melody on my own and everything, if it's been done before then I will gladly jump off a bridge... It was a tune that just developed while just playing around, I can put the tune with just a simple saw wave osc or something and send it as a dry mix to you, then maybe you can take a listen and hear if its been done before...

I Really hope not!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 12:39pm
I mention this only because I made an instant connection with it....
I probably have about 5000 tracks which i carnt always put a name to or dig out straight away....
but i can here the vocals in my head

you dont have to send me anything I know your being straight up/ and I hate being harsh because I know how excited you are about it
It is a big sound.... maybe a bit too many blips & stuttery for my liking.... i think a cleaner/dry sound would have a stronger impact to the listener
I will undertake the task to prove myself wrong for you..... so just hold that thought of going commercials with it
PeaceYing Yang

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 1:09pm
Okay, my feedback this week...

Monte - calm down

The track is quite dissonant! when I say this, I mean there are a few different keys going on! The low bass frequencies under the main riff at the start sound a little off. Are they in the same key? Or are there any higher resonant frequencies or inharmonic tones in that bassline that aren't in key?

The song sounds like it's in C# to me. I'd personally like to hear this emphasized more, with simple repeating bass notes or something, but it's up to you! The bass note you've chosen instead (at 0.46) is E (the minor third) so to me the piece sounds ditonal (as if there are at least two keys going on). Either way, it's all quite complex, and not 'calming' to my ears! The simplest sections in the track are my favorite bits, when there aren't so many conflicting parts, and I love some of the ideas and sounds in there. My advice is to solidify the key!

Rei - Worlds apart

Great sound. Nicely mixed!

What is it with you guys and dissonances this week?! The key sounds confused in this track too initially. So, the main riff sounds very much like C (with the synth playing a melody that goes D-E-G) and the bass note is E, so it sounds like the key of C with the third degree of E as the bass note. All good, but you've got a fairly loud percussive sound happening on the upbeat of beat 2 of the bar, with a delay that extends it out, playing G#, which sounds quite sinister! And this runs throughout!

The modulation and your other harmonies are great, but this G# runs throughout! Can you transpose it down to a G? It would sound much nicer!!

The mix is great otherwise!

Dave - Prog House Project

nice, minimal sound! better use of dissonances! 8) this is how dissonant notes should be used in a track in my opinion, although obviously if you're going for dissonant and atonal music then you can do what you like. However, the harmony is clear and the dissonances are brief and provide colour and interest without clashing and causing conflicts.

I think the mix is nice with the main synth over the top, e.g. 0.34-1.42, but the track sounds a bit too thin and empty without it. What I mean is, it's a bit of a shock when it first comes in, as the sound goes from very minimal to much fuller all of a sudden, and then when it ends, the mix definitely misses it!

Eli

Liking the extra rhythmic parts in the intro section. Love the general atmosphere and mood and the mix sounds spacious. The builds are great too.

What I think the track is missing basically is a fat beat - like Monte says, it sounds like you're on the verge of busting into something the whole time. You have this great build and then when it kicks in, it's almost like it's still an intro beat. You've got the bass, a nice harmonic progression, you've got nice accompanying parts etc., but you don't have a fat break! I would say that's what it needs… a fat kick and snare playing a breaks beat!

And yes, the bassline pumping in and out with the kick so the energy and dynamics are more exciting!

r

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:57pm
HI ROB

I have taken the idea from Joao to create a more involved lead Bigger.... but after your comment because of my minimal structure for the build it will be an even bigger SHOCK when i bring the lead in

I have created a nice little melody to make the lead interesting which would sound quite nice with the bass line & percs

I want to asked do i have enough components for the track with what i have??? or do i need cords? more harmony ? more unexpected random sounds (like stabs) or pads...
I dont fully understand the use of stabs & pads etc

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by morganlefaye morganlefaye wrote:

HI ROB
I dont fully understand the use of stabs & pads etc

GOOD Question because I don't get it either... 

And Rob thanks, I will get back to the song and change a few things, The percussion In the version I uploaded is a tiny bit to loud I think maybe that's why it sounds bad, or do you think the song doesn't need it?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 10:59pm
Hey Dave,

It's not too big a shock but it is a fair bit louder than the other parts and takes up a lot of the mix. What I meant from my comment was that it cuts out very abruptly! So, the transition isn't particularly good from the section with it into the one without it. How I would have arranged it would have been to have the bass drop out maybe, so it's just the lead and drums for 2 bars, and then maybe the drums drop out too, so it's just the lead for 2 bars, with some kind of FX build or filter sweep, before the beats and bass return. Perhaps the very end of the lead pattern or maybe just a brief chord at the start of the next section should have a longer delay on it (lots of feedback) so the lead spills over into the next section more. This would help create more variation and make the transition from one section to the next smoother.

I would probably hope to have something new in the next section too, just as the lead dropping out does feel like it leaves a bit of a hole, so you could have another percussion loop come in, or FX loop, or some other high frequency part. I do think you have all the main components in there and there's nothing noticeably lacking.

By stabs and pads, do you mean different FX sounds, used to punctuate the track? These are normally just brief synth sounds, like a single note or chord, but often with some kind of level change or filter sweep. It's hard to give you hard and fast rules here! Most people just trawl through sample CDs till they find cool sounds they like and then place them on particular offbeats to see how they sound. It's nice to have these sorts of sounds just before main beats in a track, so it sounds like they slide into the beat. You can always create these yourself by finding a synth sound you like and then playing a single note or chord briefly on one quaver (1/8) of the bar just before a kick or snare, and then filter it heavily with a low-pass but automate the cutoff to rise up so the high frequencies sweep in quickly. This sort of thing gives more emphasis to beats. Equally though, non-melodic FX can be good to add interest and rhythm, whether they're strange percussive sounds, noise, vox stabs or whatever...

Joao - It's not the volume of the percussion. Like I said, it's that one hit, on the upbeat of the second beat of the bar, which clearly has a pitch of G# when the song is in C. So, it sounds out of tune! Transpose it down a semitone if you can.

r

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 6:05am
Hey Guys,

Everyone seems to be getting stronger!  It's cool to see everyone improving. 

My comments from this week:

Joao:  
Melody is interesting and complex; you don't notice the loop repeating unless you listen carefully.  So far, the track has a very even quality, so I wonder what the next step is.  I would like to hear the delay varied more, especially as you move to a moment of tension, or maybe change up the snare/clap at points?

You asked about genre... it's funny, because your tempo seems to be down below what could be considered Trance, but something about the arrangement really has that quality.  I wonder if the BPM should be knocked up a touch... if you want to go in that direction of course.  

Dave:
Dude, I'm really enjoying the composition so far... Melody is great and I like the variation in the bassline from 1:40 on... can't quite tell if it's happening earlier in the track or not.  Rather than dropping right back down to the bassline though I'd love to hear the melody keep playing and add more elements.  Maybe the melody could transform leading up to that change by lengthening the delay or something?

Andrew:
The first minute of the track, I was really loving this track... I think once the out of key sections became more noticeable, I felt it lost some of it's steam.  Maybe, as Rob said, setting a stronger sense of key will help.  I would take that first 60 seconds or so and see if you can make that section work well.  I really like the mood and it's quite original, as all your stuff is.  Hammering it through a couple times on a smaller section could really refine it.

My response to comments from this week:

I think a couple things worked from the last week, but weren't refined enough to sound any good, so hopefully I can clean things up a little for this week and edit down what flat out was muddying everything up.  Less is more, as this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Mies_van_der_Rohe" rel="nofollow - guy said .  Hoping to have the creative inspiration to find something worthy to "bust into".  And to solve the mystery of the elusive "pumping bassline" and "fat beat".  

See you all Sunday. 
E

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 8:28am
OK! your post puzzled me to begin with Rob as I was really carefull with sticking to one key which was A.
What I wasn't careful with was one of the instances of Operator was transposed down 16 semitones. I traced this back on the keyboard and it ends up 2 semitones off. So Well done on picking this up ! No wonder it sounds off ...I am abit annoyed I couldnt tell :(

Now I think of it ..this may have occured nurmerous times in my songs not just this one.

I dont know if anyone is as silly as me.. BUT I HOPE SOMEONE CAN LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!

Now to go check the song I am working on now to see if I have done it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 8:55am
ill put my hands up to being just as silly as you MonteErmm
transposing a sound never even occurred to me that id potentially be going out of key
i have some kit to check the key it is played in.... so might just check up on what changes ive made just lately....

Rob.... thanks for the lengthy feed back....Ill try to work some kind of pad/stab sound before the new addition of a percussion sound or change of pace.
I think you missed my big red/blue notice thoughCool... that this isnt a demo of an arrangement.... though you have given me plenty of ideas to work with....
as long as my amplitude balance between tracks sound okay... im happy at were i am at this stage..... i was asking if the volume levels were right so I can convert my midi to audio
considering there isnt much going on... its starting to suck the life out of my CPU

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 9:08am
Yep the song I am working on now has the same thing going on . BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 12:42pm
Ah! I've made similar mistakes in the past. I've always justified it as my ear enjoying more complex sounds and intervals, but when you correct it, it does tend to improve things!

Ah yeah, sorry Dave, I didn't see that you just wanted feedback on the mix!

r

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 11:17am

SUNDAY ROAST<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

ok guys it's that time again...Been a week of struggles for me...Planned to do a certain style and ended up making a sort of Euro trance song ...not really my thing..ocasssionally I might listen to some..I feel the start is lacking somewhat..needs something but can't get anything to gel. 
No intro so far,  or a ending.

I feel as tough the start isnt intriguing enough to make the listener hang in there to the end..

Let the BBQ "cough" I mean feedback :) begin!

http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/take-whats-mine/s-RPxPO

DEVELOPED FURTHER WITH COMPRESSION

http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/take-whats-mine-pt2/s-DGfsk

Oh and for some reason you will have to copy and paste the link ..again..what am I doing wrong? do I need to use that"insert hyperlink" button top left?

I noticed the waveform has lots of transients higher than most of the track.. I am not sure what they are just yet

Most of the professional tracks have waveforms without many high
peaks...more of a solid block. I am wondering if this is due to ambience in the background or compression,

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 6:24pm
sorry for the lack of post.... not done a great deal with my track.... taking a break from listening to it

what I did over the weekend was get deeply involved in Djing with all my tunes.... something I have not done for 6 months.... there was a certain point in the track that i really liked you guys to listen to / getting into the swing of it and getting really creative.... so I uploaded to sound cloud...

And it was retained due to copyright issues!!!!! WTF.... so your saying to me a DJ has to ask every producer permission to play their music in a set????

so im a bit gutted I couldnt make a post

Anyway.... after a few days of resting my ears from this track.... Im going to arrangement.... so Ill have some thing half decent to present

PeaceYing Yang

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 7:55pm
ha ha DROPBOX  to the rescue

My 10 minute Harmonic mix.... https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/mini%20mix.wav?w=aae77628

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 12:51am
hey up Montez Tongue

Loving your latest addition buddy... sounds solid & well thought out.

I actually dont think you have much of an issue with loudness / compression.... I have played it at a set volume that i use when making a comparison with my own pros V cd format.... and yours is up there in loudness and clarity... i could give more of a definite on clarity but 12;30 am is not a good time to be cranking my stereo to full blastDisapprove id be getting daggers from the whole street...lol

any way... not sure if this is your entire arrangement but i am not convinced with the sudden intro.... and maybe a lighter kick might be nice and change it up at the 1.02 minute mark as i think the power of the kick should be concentrated around that point after the BOOM BOOM.... I also hear in that section a nice rhythmic mix of ratta tat tat of some more percussion maybe of hat to give it a bit more pace... and maybe a crash build in some parts like 8to10 short low velocity hits again before the boom boom and a big crash straight after it...
it would be interesting to hear what it sounded at a faster bpm to
Just my thoughts... but like what you have put together

PeaceYing Yang

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 3:35am
Hey Dave thanks for the feedback!

I was concentrating on everything else that I forgot about the kick drum. It is actually the same all the way through..which yes could get pretty old and doesnt have as much inpack when it kicks in.
Iam not sure how to automate this though. Maybe I could bring down the gain or resoance in EQ8  or auto filter?
Or maybe I could add some bass to the kick for the bit I want to make more of a impact on...I am not really sure.
Intro is very abrupt I agree, only did in about 10 mins so I will work on that. thanks for your honest opion though.

As for the hats I think I chnged it from a hat to a shaker but the volume is quite low, obviously didnt have quite the impact I hoped when I did it. I will see if I can boost the shaker and maybe add a few more notes..mabe even some different percussion.. and maybe a crash cymbal . Cymbals can be nasty or quite good, will have to see if it gels.

Thanks for listening

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 4:07am
im not sure ive heard a rhythm driven with out hats... but id keep it simple then let loose over the section mentioned...

shaker i think would be additional percs,,,

as for the crash... i think i would try a burst of short hits and try to dampen the sound so there is less resonance...and increase every other hits velocity as a kind of build to the boom boom

try your idea for the kick... if you can possibly find a way to change its tonal character and adjust the low cut position so in comparison it sounds slightly distant or pitchier ... to the main kick that might help

I dont know monte... i could be just chatting bubbles here.... Im just trying to think what i might do... i carnt say my ideas work on my own but might for yours...lol but please dont ruin it on my account...cause i think in general you seem to be more imaginative than me in many respects

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 6:17am
Hey Guys, 

I'm also late to the party this week... I'm actually going to hold off on posting til this coming Sunday, as I'm really right in the middle of some development that just simply needs more time.  I'll take a listen here in a minute though to what everyone has uploaded so far...

E

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 6:46am
Hey Andrew,

Just took a listen... original as always!  a few things I noticed:  

1:50-2:15 is my favorite section of the track... the elements seem to be working together best in this section.  To me it has the most potential.

Something about the keys of the bassline and the synth are, for me, off.  They seem to be clashing, to my ear... 

The synth is also there, on some level, throughout the entire song.  Maybe it would be good to drop it out and bring it back?

You make a lot of new work... I'd be interested to see what happened if you worked on one track for a few weeks in a row so we could hear the progression!  

Dave, I'm going to try to get back to you a little later, probably tomorrow... I gotta hit the sack.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 9:43am
Hey Monte,

Some feedback for ya...

Take What's Mine Part 1

You seem to have the dual key situation happening again! The bass note is doing a repeating E, so feels like it's establishing a key there, and occasionally your lead part coincides with this but most of the chords seem to be in a different key, like maybe B major, as I'm hearing a B and an Eb in places, which doesn't sit too well. I would try to keep it simple and it at least start on E major or E minor (notes G and B, or G# and B, over the E). Remember, Live has a MIDI effects to help you stay in key, called 'Scale'. Just add the C major or minor preset to your MIDI track and then pitch it up to your key, so transpose the effect up by 4 semitones to make sure your instrument stays in E. This will at least be good practice for training your ear, but won't allow you to play any notes that aren't in the key, like passing notes or other dissonances.

After the intro, the new lead sound that comes in has a repeating Ab, which definitely sounds like a different key, with the E in the bass still.

I'm not a big fan of the lead sounds in general, although the second one that comes in at 1.00 fits better. The intro stabs sound quite out of place with the other parts though I think, and don't really blend that well, which makes the irregular harmony stand out even more. You've got some really nice subtle filters and delayed parts going on with this that sound a lot more interesting. I would go for a different lead sound here personally, and make it a lot less dry as well.

I can hear certain parts of your mix are well balanced and have a nice width and space to them. The trashy, out of key leads definitely need sorting though!!

Take what's mine Part 2

The mix has definitely got better. The lead sound fits way better now you've added more delays. You've still got the dual key thing happening though. The lead is in F# and the bass in E - the last note of the bass phrase occasionally goes up to F# and it sounds in key, like at 1.24! Listen to that bit and see what I mean….

It generally sounds a lot less chaotic though and if you transpose the lead synth down by 2 semitones, it should sort the harmonies out….

A much better overall sound to the first go!

r

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 9:50am
I can't access the dropbox link Dave. It says I don't have permission.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 10:42am
ha ha sweet ...the new preview trailer for drum and bass course FEATURES.... THE SUNDAY POST....Tongue

Print Page | Close Window