Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum > Live-Courses.com Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

basic sampling module question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psykdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: basic sampling module question
    Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 11:22pm
I'm definitely a beginner to using this software and the gear I've bought (MPK25, APC40, Live 8.0). The beginner course has been a big help. I just finished module 10, basic sampling and I'm trying to practice what I thought I learned Smile

What I want to have is four samples from a four chord progression that I created using the MPK25 and the grand piano simpler module). I want to map each sample to a different key on my keyboard (Then I'm going to lay that over the top of an audio track of myself improvising on bass). I realize there are easier ways to get what I want, but I'm trying to practice using simpler.

So here's what I've done:
1) Create a midi track/clip with a 4 bar midi sequence, each bar has a different chord
2) "Remastered" that into an audio track/clip
3) Created 4 simpler tracks, each one has the same audio in it but I've set the start and end for each one to the start and end of the respective chord within the audio clip.

That's where I'm currently at. What I don't have is:

1)  the ability to play each sample clip with a different key on the keyboard.
2) it seems like it makes sense to have each of these in the same track as I will only play one at a time, not sure if that is preferable or not - advice on how to lay it out would be great.
3) I'm also confused a bit on the simpler track. Currently when I double clic on the track title I see the sampler instrument that I used to set the start/end parameters etc, that same tool used in the course module. When I click on a clip though, I get a midi editor with no content. I'm guessing that somehow I create a clip with the sample I want, but again I'm confused on this part.

I don't see any other questions in the forum like this, they seem to be mostly about setting things up, so I apologize if this is not the right place to ask this kind of question - just point me in the right direction if that is so.

Thanks,
Steven

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 10:08am
Hey Steven,

This is the perfect place for this sort of mail....

I'm really glad you're getting on well with the course! 8)

That's a pretty long-winded way of getting the result but this is often the case when you're starting out and don't know the easiest way to do things. I've done similar things many a time to get what I need!

The easiest thing to do would be to use a drum rack. You're almost at the introduction to racks module, which shows you the basic operation of a drum rack. With a drum rack, you'd just drag the audio sample of the chords you've recorded onto different pads, and the samples will automatically be mapped to individual Simplers which respond to different MIDI notes. Then you just double click on the pads to open up those Simplers and you can change the start and end points in the same way....... that will make more sense when you've done that module!

The other way is to use Sampler (Live's sampler for multi-sampling), but this only comes with the Live Suite and I'm not sure if you have that.

In answer to question 3: When you double click on any new clip on a MIDI track, you get a MIDI Editor with no content. This is because you need to enter MIDI data to trigger the MIDI instrument. If you were to draw in notes into that editor and then play the clip, you'd get the chords sample in Impulse played at the different pitches you drew in, for whatever length of time you made the notes. Try drawing or playing some notes into the editor to see what I mean. It should make it less confusing.

Let me know how you get on...

Cheers,

Rob
psykdoc View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psykdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 4:40am
Brilliant!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic