Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Logic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using plugins from an external hard drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melodika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using plugins from an external hard drive
    Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 4:37pm
Hi guys,

Basically i bought a new Macbook and i might be stuck with it and the internal hard drive i feel will not be big enough to store all audio files from Logic and then all audio files from plugins i wish to download for example sylenth1. I just wanted to know what are my option here, it doesn't seem like trying to replace the SSD card inside is a good idea and i was thinking could i download any plugins and save all the audio files that come with it to an external hard drive? 

Surely people must of had this problem before where they run out of space on there hard drive because of their excessive collection of audio files and have to find ways to increase there storage.

Your help would be massively appreciated guys

Many thanks
Tom
glecas View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glecas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 5:08pm
I think most, if not all software allows u to do this. Shouldn't be a problem...
Melodika View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melodika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 6:58pm
Your on fire with the help mate thanks! Any tutorials for this?
glecas View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glecas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 8:37pm
If you know how to store, browse and open files, photos, documents and what not, I think you'll find it just as easy. Most, if not all plugins let you open/load patches and samples by browsing for them. So it would make little difference as to where they are actually stored. Obviously it could affect performance in read/write speeds, but there shouldn't be any limitations as to where you store your samples.

Or am I completely misunderstanding your question here? Embarrassed
Melodika View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melodika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 6:05pm
I think your on the right lines, basically what this guy does but with 3rd party plugins / VST's?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic