Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Production General > General Producer and DJ Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Producing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Pilato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Producing
    Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 3:47pm
Hi Guys,

im new to abelton and producing in general, been djing for 5 years now and want to broaden my horizons ( as we all) i was just wondering what would be a good way to start making music in general i.e using loop packs, preset device racks, im just at the point where i scratch my head and go there must be a basic routine to make a track or remix, lately ive been big on trap, dubstep and drum & bass i would like to start producing these genres.

so what would be a good way to get started?

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 10:36am
Hey Adam,

Have you checked out any of our courses teaching those styles? We have Dubstep and Drum and Bass Courses - DnB in Live and Dubstep in Logic Pro. However, you can learn from any tutorial, regardless of the DAW used, certainly when it comes to the music making process.

There are lots of different ways to make music, but typically people start with either the beats and bass or some kind of hook (chord progression). These are essentially the two main elements of a dance track - the beats and bass forming the main groove, and the hook being the catchy element, which can also be important. Like I said though, it varies from track to track and with the style. Best thing to do normally is to play around until something grabs you, which could be a beat, chord sequence, bassline or whatever, then build the other parts up round it. You can always use samples at first if you like, to get ideas rolling - it's quicker than spending ages on each sound individually after all, and is a good way of finding inspiration too!

Rob
Elixir View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elixir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 1:17pm
Youtube also has a massive amount of tutorials out there. There are some people out there making all kinds of tutorials - some including building up a basic track from scratch which would give you something to follow and inspire you. Of course there is alot of garbage out there so tutorials on sites like this are always worth a shot.

Good luck and enjoy! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic