Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum > Live-Courses.com Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hiding Tracks & Light vs. Dark Red Arming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mclight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hiding Tracks & Light vs. Dark Red Arming
    Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 5:33pm
Hi!
First - thx for this great course. Although several of the units are a bit dated it's structured very well and easy to follow. I'll write my review when I'm done with all 14 modules. But I guess it will be a very favorable one! ;-)
I'm an experienced Logic user - so I keep comparing and searching for functions I'm used to using in Logic. One was hiding tracks. I was searching the manual and the web - but couldn't find it. Can one hide tracks in Live 9 or not? If so: how?
Second question: there seem to be 2 modes of arming. A light red and a strong red one. Did I get this right I toggle between the 2 with the arrow keys? I prefer the light red one as - like in Logic - I can trigger the track's Midi immediately after having selected it. What is the dark red one good for? Selecting without being able to play?
Thx for your help!
Charlie
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2014 at 6:52pm
hi there... all the course is still relevant with respect to Live 9... there is a course featuring all the new key features in Live9... what you learn here will not detract in any way the basic principals in operating devices or the practical examples shown... so you should be okay with this...

i have watched many logic courses... and the hiding track is a great idea if you using them as sidechaining ... or your working with alot of tracks.
Ableton doesnt have this feature... although you can hide the return tracks
if your working with many channels.... for example your drums are occupying 8 channels you can click on the title bars and right click ... in the context menu group tracks ...
this will then enable you to close this group into 1 neat & tidy channel

the arm light... well this is a matter of preference really like you said yourself... you have 1 on the channel for recording midi or audio & the global record ....and a circle next to that that prepares a clip & count in to live record ... so there are many ways to record

mclight View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mclight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 11:19am
First: thx for answering so quickly - even during a weekend! Thumbs Up

Ad Live 9 Videos:
I was checking the modules of the beginners course and couldn't find the one explaining the new stuff in Live 9. I think there was an extra module available on the old website (= 2 weeks ago). Where do I find it now?

Regarding hiding:
I use Spectrasonics plugins (all 3 of them) and when making my default project I'll have 3x8 Midi-tracks + 3 instances of the main instrument + a few more tracks (audio tracks ready for recording with Melodyne, StutterEdit instrument, external gear). All in all I have 30+ tracks ready for recording (so that I won't have to set them up each time I start a new project) and in Logic I would hide eg. 6 of the 8 of each instrument's Midi-tracks which I make visible once I need them. So the default project would have only about 10 tracks visible to start with.
I've followed your advice and grouped the 8 Midi-input tracks of each Spectrasonics instrument - which makes it a lot tidier. The view corresponds 100% to what I can see on Push: as soon as I collapse it I won't be able to start the Clips residing inside a grouped track (because they are no longer visible)  - only the whole group can be started/stopped. That makes sense but it is less convenient than hiding. 

Ad Arm button:
I think there's a misunderstanding. I'm talking ONLY about the arm-button at the bottom of a track in the session-view. This arm button can be a deep red (normal arm) or a light red (the manual calls it "pink") which indicates that the track has been armed by selecting it (and NOT by pressing the arm-button). I think this pink-mode is only available when having connected Push to Live? Here's what I found in the manual (see chapter 27.7):
"The Left/Right Arrows move between tracks. Note that selecting a MIDI track on Push automatically arms it, so it can be played immediately. In Live, track Arm buttons will appear pink to indicate that they have been armed via selection."
I'd like to know if such a "pink-mode" is possible without Push too as I prefer to just click on a track an be able to play it (instead of having to arm it in addition which has to be done in the "red-mode"). Or am I supposed to always click on the arm-button in order to be able to play the instrument on this track immediately (without selecting the track at all)?
In Module 3 at 2:40 Rob explains that the track has to be armed (= red-mode in this case) in order to play and hear it.

Sorry for writing that much - perhaps things would be easier if I wouldn't have developed certain working habits in another DAW already ... Embarrassed
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 2:54pm
yeah.. will there was some misunderstanding... as you never mentioned push.. and i dont have it either ;)

you sound like you are wanting to use Live for live performance... this is something which again is very much personnel preference..

i would suggest you stopped making comparisons and focus in practicalities of the software ... it is sterling in my opinion... and for live performance excellent... 

i think you may need Rob to guide you with push though... i know live from apc40 perspective... you have a frame work on screen so you can launch clips in that zone and hit arrow keys any which way to take you else where... so it pays to plan out you set or become familiar with you layout
mclight View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mclight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 4:21pm
Ok - I'll stop comparing. Just a bit difficult once you've got used to a workflow in another DAW ... Wink
One more question regarding this forum: There seems to be a sort of "public" section and this one here for the courses. Am I supposed to post in the courses area or in the public one?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 8:45pm
yeh i imagine its tricky to not compare... but lets just say your very much at an advantage having experience already...
it will take a bit of time to adjust... but soon enough you will realise its & your potential once you have it set up just the way you like it

as for where you post... i believe this forum was set for privacy at one point... specifically for course members... but that isnt the case now... not sure why!!! anyone can view this now..

so any questions related to the course or other wise... can be posted here or in the main Ableton forum

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 7:48pm
As Dave helpfully pointed out there is no hiding tracks facility - would be a useful feature I know! You can obviously drag the edge of their header to make them really small, or move them to the bottom of the tracks by dragging the header, but that's about it.

As for the automatic record arming, it's not something I've thought about actually, but did notice it doing it the other day now you mention it, while I was doing a performance with Push. It's not a preference so it must just be a Push thing. I'll let you know if I find out otherwise though.

Also, the tutorials are being updated over the coming months as, despite them all being relevant still, they were made a few years back. Currently modules 1-3 on the Beginners Course are all new, with more to follow later in the year.

The Bonus Live 9 module can be found on the Advanced Course still. The Live Browser module on the Beginners Course was removed because this is covered in the last part of module 1 now.

Cheers,

Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic