Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Logic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simple question from a new member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple question from a new member
    Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 5:06pm
Hi everyone.  I'm new to Logic Pro but have a lot of experience with Nuendo and before that Sonic Solutions.  I find the  Logic manual a little frustrating and need help with some pretty basic stuff to quickly get up to speed.  I have three questions initially.  Any help would be appreciated.

1) I'd like to be able to lock tracks together (same take, three mics) so I can easily edit from different takes. 
2) I'd like to record Logic's metronome onto a track for a visual aid to editing.  Is there an internal way of doing this?
3) In other programs I've used, I've been able to edit to a single track from multiple takes where the track I''m editing to stays at the top while the other tracks scroll.  Does Logic have this feature?

Thank you, TRH
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 5:42pm
Hey TRH,

1. If you have a multi-track interface, e.g. more than 2 inputs, then you can record three mics signals simultaneously onto three separate tracks in Logic, after which you can edit them as you like. There's no need to 'lock' tracks together so to speak.

2. Yes, you can open the environment window and connect the metronome track to an audio track on the mixer screen, then turn the metronome on and hit record on the audio track to record in. However, there's no real need to do this, as Logic's grid clearly shows you where each beat is.

3. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but Logic has comp editing, so if you record in loop for example, then it records each cycle as a new take on the track, after which you can double click on the recorded region to expand out the region to show all the takes, which can be edited individually to create a comp, e.g. a region consisting of the best bits from each take.

Cheers,

r
TRH View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 7:21pm
Hi Rob, thanks so much for responding to my questions!

1) I do have a multi-track interface and have no problems recording tracks into Logic.  I'm recording with a matched pair of B&K 4003's and a U67 on a single acoustic guitar at the moment.  My goal is to make the editing process as easy as possible.  Is it possible to take three separate tracks and combine them into one visual track for editing.  I still want individual control of the three tracks after editing is complete.  

2) Thanks for telling me how to get the metronome onto a track.  The reason I can't depend on the grid is because of the type of music I'm recording.  There are accelerandos, fermatas, etc.  To execute these, I turn off the metronome so you don't have to hear it when you're recording.  When I want to return to the click, I will move the audio click track to the area I want to resume and record the next section.  I'd love to use the grid, but I'm not sure it will work for me in this case.  Maybe there's a way around this?

3) Let's say you are recording a symphony orchestra using two overheads and some spot mics on each section.  The orchestra plays through the material three times.  Now, I want to cut and paste between tracks while maintaing the ability to mix.  You can't see all the instruments on one screen.  What's the best way to edit this?  

This is why I was thinking of locking or grouping the individual takes so that as I cut, all tracks associated with that cut are also edited.  This was possible in programs I've used in the past.  How would you do this in Logic?

Sorry if these questions seem odd.  I've just returned to recording and editing after ten years.  A lot has happened in that time.  I used to be very good at all this, so it's frustrating when I have to start from the beginning again! 

Thanks, TRH
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 1:53pm
Hey TRH,

1. Are you using Logic Pro X or an earlier version? X has a new 'track stacks' facility, which I think does make this possible actually - I'm still quite new to X and am making new tutorials on it currently. In version 9, I can't think of a way of editing one region and affecting multiple tracks, so you can keep them separate. You'd have to bounce them together onto a single track if you wanted to edit them as one, but this would obviously mean they could no longer be edited separately.

2. It doesn't sound like the grid will work for you then. You can set changes in time signature along the arrangement, but not rubato, as this is too random. Once your timing becomes that free, I can't think of a way of having the grid follow what you're doing. Perhaps a new feature in X is available once again though. I'll let you know if I find one, or think of a work around...

3. Unless I'm missing something here, that doesn't sound too difficult to achieve. If you just recorded each take one after the other in the same project, so onto the same set of tracks, just at a later point along the timeline, then you could cut and paste the whole arrangement to use the recorded audio regions you wanted, and any mixer or channel strip settings on tracks, including automation, would remain the same for all three takes.

r
TRH View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 3:00pm
Rob, 

1) I'm using Logic Pro 9.  Last night, I found a YouTube video by Albert Chambers addressing this issue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNbuyi2rQpI
I'm just used to seeing my comp at the top, so that's what I was looking for in a solution.  By grouping the tracks of a single take, the edits you make happen simultaneously on all tracks no matter which track you edit.  I haven't tried this yet but it looks like it would work for me assuming that the automatic crossfades don't become an issue.  

2) Wouldn't it be nice if you could click and drag particular beats on the grid to a scratch track without affecting the rest of the time line?  Maybe Logic X has this?  If so, I would upgrade just for this one feature.  Rubato, retardandos, accelerandos, fermatas would all be addressed.  I know that you can do this in Logic, but it is a clunky and non- musical process.  Please let me know if you find something in X.

3) Yes, this is more or less the way I used to do this.  But, I would stack and group the takes for easier access.  They wouldn't match up perfectly so I tagged each section with markers.  I would then listen to each take and mark the score with colored pencils circling problem areas in each take.  It went pretty smoothly.  

I appreciate your help, Rob.  Cheers, TRH
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 7:13pm
1. What you were talking about seemed a bit too difficult to record in loop mode, but if you can do that with your recording, then this is definitely the way to go. FYI, I didn't know there was an option for region editing in the track Grouping facility, so thanks for pointing that out! Fades can be set how you like too, so you shouldn't have any problems with them.

2. Maybe it does. I'll look into it and let you know if I find anything...

3. Question 1 basically answers this now - use loop recording, group the tracks and then carry out a comp edit on all tracks simultaneously. This will obviously keep all your mixer settings the same.

No worries. Good luck with it.

r
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic