Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum > Live-Courses.com Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Started

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Started
    Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 12:04pm
This is all the information you need to get started with the Ableton Live courses:

DOWNLOADING THE COURSE PACK

The first thing to do before you start viewing the course is to download the pack, containing all of the Live sessions and samples. The download is a zipped folder that you need to unzip once the download has finished. On virtually all computers, unzipping can be done simply by double-clicking the zipped folder, after which an unzipped version will be unarchived for you. If your computer does not have this facility then you can look up the software necessary for this to be done - popular applications include WinZip and Stuffit.

WHAT'S IN A COURSE PACK?

Each course pack contains a Live session for every module, apart from the first module on the beginners course, which just covers the basic Live concepts and the browser. Providing you have Ableton Live installed on your computer, you can double click on a Live session to open it. Also in the download pack is a folder containing the Ableton samples that come with the course. To make things simple, you should keep the whole download (all sessions and samples) in the same place so that when you open a session Live knows where to find the samples for it. If you move the samples to a different place, Live may have difficulty locating them and will ask you where they are (see next section).

Also in the pack is a folder called Xtra Audio that contains a few additional audio samples that are used in some of the sessions. Lastly, you have the Bass Station software installer that you can simply double-click and follow the simple instructions to install. There is a separate pdf in the download containing installation instructions and your unique serial number - if you can't locate this, contact support@abletoncourses.com and we will send you a code.

LOCATING AUDIO IN LIVE

When you open a Live session containing audio that has been moved, Live will not be able to find it and the samples will be offline. However, it is very easy to relocate audio in Live. All you have to do is follow these steps:

Step 1. Click on the missing audio message at the bottom of the Live software window.

Step 2. Drag the folder with all the samples in to the box that appears on the right side of Live, just below where it says Search folder. The switch to the right of Search folder will then change to Yes (if it says no). Rather than dragging the folder, you can click on Set Folder and navigate to it on your computer. If you can't see the Search folder option, you'll need to unfold the Automatic Search header by clicking on the arrow to its left.

Step 3. Click on the Go switch to the right of where it says Automatic Search.

Live will then search the folder and locate the samples, after which a window will appear saying that the audio has been found.

STARTING THE COURSE

Once your sessions and samples have been set up, you can start to watch the course by logging in to the website and clicking on the links for each module. The first module of the beginners course has some instructions for setting up your audio inputs and outputs, as well as MIDI keyboards, so you can hear sound coming from Live, play instruments and so on. Every module has a pdf that can be downloaded containing notes for that lesson, which outline the main topics covered and occasionally offer some additional information not mentioned.

From everyone at Producertech, we hope you enjoy the Live courses!
jason5 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 4:31pm
great - this post helped! Wink
DJDXJCPA View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJDXJCPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 12:33am
Hi Rob,  i been trying to download the course pack, but it does not seem to want to finish dowloading  and then it stuck gets stuck. Any advice?

Jeff
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 10:36am
Hey Jeff,

That's strange! I'll speak to our web team immediately and make sure everything's okay from their end and if it is then send you a different link to try perhaps....

Cheers,

Rob
DJDXJCPA View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJDXJCPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 12:31pm
hi Rob,

I get busy, but have time to start the course now.  i was wondering if you found an answer to why I am having trouble downloading the course pack.  it starts to downlaod and then stops.  I sent a message about a month ago and you were going to check why and possibly need to send a different link.  Any progress?

Thanks,

Jeff

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 1:43pm
Hey Jeff,

Have you still not had any luck with that?? Let me send you a temporary link to try.....

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Rob
natacha View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 4:17pm
Hello,

I too am having troubles downloading the course pack.
Sounds like the exact same issue described above.

I've just signed up for the advanced course and your server keeps timing out after 10min.
Can you provide me with an alternative link or even ftp would do also...

Many thanks,
Natacha
natacha View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 2:05am
Ignore my message above  - I tried again today, and it is now working - many thanks.
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 2:12pm
Nice one! 8)

Rob
DJDXJCPA View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJDXJCPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 2:01am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic