Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the simple things are always the hardest...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the simple things are always the hardest...
    Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 1:52am
I have a problem with file and browser organization,I know its so basic but for some reason I am a bit dyslexic on this one.
How do you actually DESIGNATE the 1-2-3 browser windows as a specified library ?
And do most people store all their tracks,clips,files etc on their hard drive first in which it shows up on the ableton browser for access or when you drop info from a session onto the ableton browser is it automaticly stored on your computers hard drive as well ?? is it one in the same ??

Thanks

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 5:09pm
No worries! It is one and the same yes. The Browser has master locations such as 'All Volumes' (any hard discs you have, internal or external, as well as any CDs or DVDs inserted) and 'Desktop' that relate to locations on your computer. You should put all your samples in a folder on your computer somewhere that you can then navigate to in the Browser to use them in a Live session. 

For example, to set up File Browser 1 as my samples folder, I would click on the '1' symbol in the top left of the browser and then select 'All volumes' from the drop down list that appears when you click on the strip at the top of the browser with the magnifying glass symbol at the end. Then I double click on MacHD below, followed by all the relevant folders that appear, just as I would if browsing to the samples on my computer normally. Every time you double click a folder that will become the one assigned to file browser 1. If you make a mistake then just double click 'parent folder' to go back a step. Then when you reach the samples folder, double click it and you're done. Then, every time you click on File Browser 1, you will always see your samples...

In the same way, when you drop clips of any kind into your browser, they will be saved to whatever location on your computer that the browser is displaying.

Let me know if you need any more pointers...

Cheers,

Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic