Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paul Maddox Techno/Tech House Tutorial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elixir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paul Maddox Techno/Tech House Tutorial
    Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 9:05pm
Hey all,

I bought the Paul Maddox tutorial yesterday and I have to say ...... its god damn awesome! It is probably the best tutorial I have come across for Tech-House/Techno and the track that Paul makes is pretty much exactly the kind of stuff I love. There are other tutorials out there for this kind of genre and they do provide you with some good techniques and tips but the end product never really sounded "professional". I mean they were good tracks but there is a massive difference to those tracks and the one made in this tutorial. This one just sounds like something I would hear being banged out in a club. It deffo reminds me of some of the Spektre stuff released over the years...in particular Get Together....mainly because of the vocal hook. Similar kinda thing going on in the tutorial.

I fall into the category, that I'm sure many a wannabe producer falls under, of the "faffer". I spend far too long faffing about, doubting whether stuff sounds good that I never end up getting anything done but watching this tutorial and seeing the workflow is really inspiring to see and Paul really does a great job of explaining what he is doing, why he's doing it and doesn't mumble around.

He pretty much shows that you don't really have to do anything fancy or crazy to make a banging track. Of course, experience helps when it comes to picking the right samples and knowing the techniques but this tutorial has helped me MASSIVELY with just getting a track finished. I spent the day today re-watching the tutorials and using them as a foundation to make my own track and you know what? I've pretty much finished. Something I hardly ever get round to doing. It's not amazing and the world wont hear it but just goes to show if you stop faffing and take note of the tips, you can get stuff done!

So well done to Paul and the team for making a great tutorial. I learnt so much from it and its inspired me to get better and make more tracks :) If you could pass this on to Paul, that would be great (plus it might tempt him to make another ;) )

Take it easy,

Rob

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 11:18am
Thanks Rob!

Really glad you like it and that it yielded such instant results. We love the course too! You can expect more from Paul in the future... he's a great producer and tutor and we're happy to have him on our team.

If you wouldn't mind, we'd appreciate if you left some comments (just paste this if you like) on our external reviews site we've recently started here.

I'll pass these comments on to Paul too...

Cheers,

r
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 12:32pm
Sounds good, I might have to check this out
www.MonteProductions.com.au
Elixir View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elixir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 1:31pm
Yeah sure, no worries Rob. I'll add the review for you.

Ah we can expect more from Paul? Awesome! If you stick to same formula as this tutorial you'll be onto a winner.

I think two other major factors into why this is such a good tutorial is the fact its all made from scratch AND it only uses Ableton's instruments and effects. Come to think of it, the majority of the tutorials I've seen on youtube and sonic academy always includes the producer using some random, amazing plugin I dont have or will probably never have due to it costing a bomb.
So if you stick to that formula you'd be onto a winner I reckon!

A couple of questions, well they are more like points of curiosity really :

- Regarding the bottom grouping - Paul does little to no EQ work here. I mean whenever I have been playing around with kicks and basslines etc (and pretty much EVERY other tutorial in this area) there always seems to be extensive eq work to make sure everything fits together and the bottom ends of each part arent clashing.
For example, the kick and sub in this tutorial. They sit perfectly together. Then he adds in the other perc bassy bits in and they sit well together. I would have thought, and this happens when I do it, that the low end of the perc bass hits would clash with the subby bass part but in this it just works. Is this just basically down to Paul being a badass and just knowing that these parts will work together or was there alot of pre-work before the tutorial to get the right parts?

- Group compression - again in pretty much every tutorial you see regarding mixing etc, everyone sticks a compressor on the group channel, lets say for example the drums group, to "glue" the parts together but here this isnt used.
Obviously it sounds fine without it and im guessing it could be used but I'm just wondering why it wasnt used in this case, as I've pretty much just programmed my brain to think the grouping channels HAVE to have a compressor on it.

Elixir View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elixir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 1:37pm
P.s. The damn review site wouldnt let me sign in after registering for some reason so I've just added the review as Anon....hopefully that will do?
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 6:09pm
yeah that's great, thanks

I'll send Paul a link to this thread, so he can respond to your questions...

r
PaulMaddox View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulMaddox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 3:30pm
Hi there - firstly, thanks for the kind words - nice to hear that the tutorial is doing the job. I'm working on ideas for some future ones at the moment, so definitely more to come.

Now, onto the questions:

Originally posted by Elixir Elixir wrote:

- Regarding the bottom grouping - Paul does little to no EQ work here. I mean whenever I have been playing around with kicks and basslines etc (and pretty much EVERY other tutorial in this area) there always seems to be extensive eq work to make sure everything fits together and the bottom ends of each part arent clashing.
For example, the kick and sub in this tutorial. They sit perfectly together. Then he adds in the other perc bassy bits in and they sit well together. I would have thought, and this happens when I do it, that the low end of the perc bass hits would clash with the subby bass part but in this it just works. Is this just basically down to Paul being a badass and just knowing that these parts will work together or was there alot of pre-work before the tutorial to get the right parts?

Probably a bit of both tbh. I did a dry run of putting the track together before recording the tutorial where I made a few notes about things like the root note for the sub and the tuning of the bassy perc parts, but what you see in the tutorial is a genuine representation of how I work. The only real difference being that the periods of trial and error tuning things up and down are condensed down a bit to keep it interesting. I've always been a fan of getting things to sit as close to perfect as possible just though sound selection and basic processing rather than going OTT with a million EQs and compressors, as I find it gives better end results.

Originally posted by Elixir Elixir wrote:

- Group compression - again in pretty much every tutorial you see regarding mixing etc, everyone sticks a compressor on the group channel, lets say for example the drums group, to "glue" the parts together but here this isnt used.
Obviously it sounds fine without it and im guessing it could be used but I'm just wondering why it wasnt used in this case, as I've pretty much just programmed my brain to think the grouping channels HAVE to have a compressor on it.

I do sometimes put a compressor on the drum buss (usually a bit of paralell compression using either Glue or the UAD 1176) but that only really works if the kick is sent to the drum buss too, whereas in this project it seemed more beneficial to group the kick in with the bass parts. As a more general bit of advice, I'd say try to avoid doing things just "because that's what you do". Always think about what you're trying to achieve with a process/effect rather than just doing it automatically. :)
bxtatik View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bxtatik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 4:43pm
Hello forum, Is there a link to Paul's Tutorial? I recently purchased the Ableton Level 1 & 2 but I would really like to have a tutorial that walks you through where you can follow along at create while learning Ableton as well. After studying the courses I as well have become a "faffer". I  too spend far too long faffing about, doubting whether stuff sounds good that I never end up getting anything done. If anyone could help please send a link on where to get Paul Maddox tutorial.
Thank you
PaulMaddox View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulMaddox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 11:16pm
http://music-courses.com/product.asp?P_ID=220 :)
bxtatik View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bxtatik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 10:02pm
Thank you for a good techno tut. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic