Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum > Live-Courses.com Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a couple quick questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glyphx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a couple quick questions
    Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 12:20am
well... right now I just have one question... but I figured I would start a single thread to ask any quick questions that come up... Im sure there will be more  :)

I have no interest in using Live to DJ.  Is it still worth watching that module?   Is there anything in there that might come in handy with production?
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 8:57am
hi ya Ben....

well its been some time since i watched this module.....so i watched it again to offer up any suggestions....
and in many respects a producer should always consider the dj who is going to play your track....

also..... there are similar techniques used both by producer & dj (FX)
in this session there are a few devices  covered that i tend to use frequently
simple delay & pingpong delay.... i tend to use these effects on Hats to give more energy to a mix...or create a cool effect on a vocal (like a decaying echo) can give a simple or complex sounds rich textures..... but ultimately these effects used subtle are excellent for getting stereo width in your mix
as you progress you will find (height depth & width) is very important to create a feeling of space..... rather that having instruments stacked 1 on top of another....

also a dj will use effects to merge / blend and intensify a section of a track to make  transitions to the next... either in a build of a track or somewhere you wouldnt ordinarily mix 2 tracks together
and the same sort of thing applies to the arrangement of a track.... for example you have a light & airy break and you want to drop your heavy bass line drums & instrumental back in.... rather than a sharp sudden change... some of these effects used heavily  will build the break to a plateau (crescendo).... and excite your listeners who will know something great is going to happen.....

so maybe check it out just for these features plus the is the use of the 3band eq and warping.... and the introduction of SEND EFFECTS....
which will be explained further.... the difference between using sends & inserts

PeaceYing Yang
glyphx View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glyphx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 12:30pm
Thanks!  I will check it out.

Another quick question.  When hot swapping drum sounds and looking through samples the browser will play a preview as I click on each one.  Is it possible to play previews like that when clicking through synthesized drum presets instead of samples?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 12:50pm
hi ya

which software are you using by the way?

live 8 or suite.... if you are using midi instruments... inserted on a midi track... you have a hot swap option on the device... which will open the browser automatically to the 1 that you selected.... then you can try different 1's
however you must record a few notes in there to hear the sound of the instrument initially .... does this make sense?
im sure this is in the sessions.... i can put some images up if this will help some more

unlike live or suite 9 .... you can preview the sound of an instrument directly from the browser ....pretty cool feature Thumbs Up
glyphx View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glyphx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 2:52pm
Thanks!

BTW It sounds like the "Color" dial on the Noise section in Analog is a LP filter.  The video calls it a HP.  Is it really a LP or am I misunderstanding?
glyphx View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glyphx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 3:04pm
Also just noticed the description for the Analog module looks wrong.  :)

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 3:04pm
hhhhmmm ... i believe it is specifically a LOW PASS FILTER...... which module are you watching Ben ?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by glyphx glyphx wrote:

please explain
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 3:41pm
okay... so i have watched the analogue module... and you are right the noise generator /color dial is reffered to as a high pass filter....

And Ableton refer to it as a low pass filter...... but i think this is some what debatable ..... as the dial has a cut off that covers the entire frequency range
glyphx View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glyphx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by morganlefaye morganlefaye wrote:

Originally posted by glyphx glyphx wrote:

please explain

The Analogue module descriptions says "Explains what a Device rack is, the different types available and the concept of chains and macro controls... etc

See screen shot below  :)

https://www.cubby.com/pl/temp_share/_0314712edbe2459e886470ef6b4d16ad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic