Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Production General > General Producer and DJ Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FM Synth help needed, please.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ulrichburke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FM Synth help needed, please.
    Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 9:01pm
Dear Anyone. 

I'm trying to get the hang of FM Synth Pad Creation from scratch, so I can create my own sounds and not just use presets all the time.  So I downloaded Daichi Synth as it's legit. free and doesn't look as nightmare as half the stuff in Reason (which I've got, legit. copy, Reason 5!)  I now understand basically how to start off with a tone and modulate it into some form of pad, I need a ton of practice still but the basics are there.  Except for one dumbass point.

When you download Daichi, the base sound is a stringpad from Hell for want of a better description. That's the sound you modulate the heck out of to get a pad sound.  BUT - I downloaded a bank of presets for Daichi (a.k.a. Synth One) and it gave me a new base sound. This one was like R2D2 going 'Oooo', not very impressive but because it was a different starting sound you could modulate different sounding pads from it. 

So here's the questions.  Firstly, am I right in considering the base sound as a  carrier wave, like the TV tone that's modulated into every sound you hear coming outta the set speakers (when you're on a dead channel, it's just going 'Oooooo' and that's the bare carrier wave, am I right in that? So TV is basically FM synth, voices etc. modulating the base frequency?) Secondly - how the heck did they get a different base sound INTO Daichi? If they could do it with one .WAV (or whatever!) source, I could have a WHALE of a time loading in other base sounds and modulating those.  Thirdly - I also get the feeling that Daichi isn't the world's most ad vanced modulation synth (sorry, Daichi, if I'm wrong). Does anyone know any other free ones I could use to learn on? Just so if I hear a pad sound I like but don't have (or can't afford to buy) as a preset, I could make mine own from scratch.

Yours hopefully

Chris.
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 6:10pm
alright... im not that up on FM....and the vst i looked up is complicated...but the carrier is the main signal that is heard....

it depends on what shape you use.... to keep it simple a sine wave....
with this and other sinewaves you can make pretty much any shape like square saw etc with modulation

you can also have more than 1 carrier... for example of you wanted to make the sound of a piano.... you would use 2 carriers

here is a much simpler FM synth to get you going its called FM FOUR and its free... like everything else on this site

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic