Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Reason Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help for mixing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel.grozev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help for mixing
    Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 9:51am
Hello All,

I have an issue about my final mix.

Long story short, the problem is that if I listen to my mix with headphones plugged in my external soundcard (Line6 ux2) the mix sounds nice but when I plug the same headphones in my laptop or mobile device and play the same file I notice unpleasant changes of the volume of some song parts.

In the verse, for example, there are vocals, drums and 3 bass synths (both different in timbre and notes, panned separately, different eq applied etc.). It sounds ok. But in the pre-chorus one of the bass synths is  out and the vocals volume increase immediately. Later the synth is introduced again and vocals volume decreases again....

May be I messed the mix up with too much compression or ...?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 7:14pm
hi Daniel

what are you using to mix with ??? do you have studio monitors???

its a tricky balance to get right... to make you mix sound good on various audio devices like home stereo... i phone ... head phones et.... as i have discovered myself

its even harder without monitors.... but even then you carnt souly rely on these alone... as they sound that fantastic you can over compensate and on everything else sounds crap

as Rob offered me advise on this i will offer you the same

start off your mix through a cheap pair of earphones ( i use Skull Candy in ear ) to hear your kick & bass sounding right
and alternate with other devices you have as you go through the mix to make sure it sounds well through them all

then if you have monitors... you can really clean things up....
it takes some practise getting a mix right so dont get too overly concerned with getting it right the first time

hope this is of some help & given you some ideas of your own

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic