Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Production General > Shameless Plugs....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Second track.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adge2k11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second track.
    Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 10:07pm
Hey guys i recently posted my first ever track made with ableton.
Heres my second attempt...this time i was braver and only used one short drum sample, the rest is all me..

Its made as an instrumental and ideally would have vocals.

let me know what you guys thing, tips, advice, comments etc..

(It's latin-pop-ish) Just so you know what you're in for! :-P
adge2k11 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adge2k11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 10:09pm
oops..forgot to post it
http://snd.sc/WqBSFE
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 10:34am
pretty crazy beats! nice and chunky though!

watch out for clicks in there - I think you're getting them with some of the drums or sub bass track maybe? (I can hear it around 1.15) You can normally sort this by adding a fade out at the end of samples, or by increasing the release time if it's a synthesizer or sampler playing them... but if it's in the sample itself, you might need to edit more closely...

The style kind of reminds be of 'The Bulgarian'

r
adge2k11 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adge2k11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:10pm
Thanks for the comments Rob! 
I need to sort those clicks out definitely!

I saw you gave some advice to another member who had just posted his first track regarding the musicality. I was wondering what you thought of the breakdown part? I'm still learning about chord sequences and the "rules" of scales etc etc so i'm sure there is some dissonance in my track..any advice?

Aaron
p.s. im intrigued.. what's "the bulgarian?" did a youtube search but not sure what im looking for!
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 5:52pm
musically, it is a bit random but somehow works! the latin horns are in a different key to the bassline part so most people would find it a bit dissonant or too multi-tonal (when there's more than one key going on). Sometimes I find this kind of thing works though - I do listen to jazz a lot though, so I am partial to dissonances at times.....

what I would say is, in places you pull it off and you're obviously using your ear, but at other times it does lack the unity and flow that an improved knowledge of scales and harmony will give you. Have you looked at any of the theory lessons on Music Courses at all?

The Bulgarian is a producer who once remixed one of my tracks. You may be interested in his stuff if you don't know it. Check out his soundcloud here. I'm more a fan of his older stuff though I must say.

r
adge2k11 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adge2k11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 10:06pm
yeh i had trouble with the keys and scales...i genuinely thought they were in right right key in the end although i knew that the horns sounded strange at some points.
i'm reading a book at the moment about music theory and hopefully will learn alot from that.
I did the ableton live course presented by yourself but havent looked at any of the music theory courses yet
thanks for the link, i'll check it out!
beat View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 7:59pm
hi,
if you've got an iphone or ipad, have a look at an app called
ProChords
it can be verry helpful.
i look at chords, progressions, different keys, then idecide on my earside where to go.

i don't know if theres an android version.....
cheers
beat
adge2k11 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adge2k11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 8:42pm
thanks alot for the advice... i'll have a look for it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic