Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Production General > Shameless Plugs....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my first ever track

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adge2k11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my first ever track
    Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 4:45pm
hey guys, i've recently finished my first track on ableton.
It's probably not to most of your tastes, as it has reggaeton/latin influences.

I know there is ALOT to improve on, after all it is my first track.
However, i'd really appreciate constructive feedback on how to improve any aspect of it.

Its an instrumental but ideally it would have a vocal.
Thank you,
Aaron,
Madrid.

https://soundcloud.com/adgey04/la-primera
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:14pm
hi ya Adge.....

welcome.... first time ive seen you around the forum....

well you should be very pleased with your track.... I carnt really pick any fault with it..... as we know little about you..... could i ask if you have a musical background?
the track is well put together but can i asked is this sample based.... as the programming on the synths are pretty impressive

if this is all your programming could you give us some  of the processes & effects behind creating your sounds

PeaceYing Yang
Orchy View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 11:53pm
Handshake Good Job ,very danceable.... Laitn well i am currently in Brazil copping an ear ful of  Maractu drumming and reggae.... Who doesnt like the sweet sounds of the Carribean mon... like it a lot...Cheers thanks for sharing..
Bonito...
mnw View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 12:26am
yea this isn't bad at all. I love the harmony and melody, there needs to be more of it in electronic music, so keep that going! One thing that you could work on is structuring the track. It seems very sloppy and ill-timed the way instruments come in and out. A good trick to use is to drop a track you like into your project and structure your track like it is. Hope this helps! 
adge2k11 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adge2k11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 11:06pm
Hey guys , thanks for taking the time to listen..let alone leave comments
I was worried that it would get ripped to pieces, it's not normally the kind of music people choose  to make, nor is it seen as 'cool', but i like it :-D

So, firstly i did use a sample for one of the synths (the one that comes in with the 'chorus') and for the other synth i took another track and sampled the sound using ableton's simpler.
as for the rest..it's just added on and based around the main synth riff that i originally found.

I studied a bit of digital music at uni, as well as being into it at school...

however i can't play an instrument, or read music..music theory is alien to me, im trying to learn about it now, but dont know where to start

I made that track by founding out what key the synth was in, and then eliminating the notes I couldn't use (very infantile i know!) 

I appreciate your advice, i'm working on another similar kind of song at the moment and i hope I can incorporate some of the techniques i've learned since the last one

also, just to let you know that i always imagined that the song would feature a vocal, so for that reason i kind of structured it that way.
thanks again guys!

morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 11:00am
thanks for telling us a little bit about your background...  many of us have never learnt to play anything musically... yet with persistence we can acheive something musical

yeah i was using sampled loops to begin with.... then my desire turned to wanting to program my own timbres.... although i still use sampled drum kit hits....
i dont think there are many programmers/ producers making their rhythm section from scratch....

if you do at some point decide you want to program your own bass/synth leads etc.... i would recommend the synth courses... Massive & sylenth.... both Monte and myself have taken these courses recently... after a few months of learning to use ableton
but if you carnt afford the VST & course.... then there is an  (OPERATOR & analogue synth) courses

as fir eliminating the notes you carnt play is not infantile .... it is a different method of knowing which keys you can play with

as for where to start...... i found taking piano lessons... learning scales chords etc... after all it is the best instrument to learn when using midi instruments...

as for theory... there are some good web site that can give you the basics... theory is just that though... as experimentation and pushing its boundaries to the limit & beyond is where you want to take your music

so i enjoyed listening to the last track and forward to hearing your next project
adge2k11 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adge2k11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 12:34pm
I've started trying to create my own drum loops now, because eventually i'd like to be able to do everything from scratch.
I just finished the ableton for beginners course, which features like 16 classes and thats given me the basics, but i honestly think i'll have to watch each class again at least 3 more times before everything sinks in!
thanks for all the advice ! much appreciated

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 3:48pm
Hey Aaron,

It's a great first attempt! It has a nice sound to it and it works musically/harmonically.

The sections with sub bass and the floaty leads are really good, for instance 1.26 to 1.40.

I agree with some of the other comments about arrangement. This is the weakest area I think, with sections ending a bit abruptly and no real build-ups or nice transitions between sections. This is what you should work on now..... try to develop parts more, with filters or effects for instance, and create some more rises and falls, by adding sweeps and FX perhaps, when sections start or end....

Variety is nice in a track, but you need to achieve more flow!

It's an excellent first go though!

r
adge2k11 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adge2k11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 10:03pm
Hey guys i recently just finished this track. This time I was a bit more daring and did everything myself apart from one short drum sample.
Again..its made with a vocal in mind, hopefully in a few weeks it will have one. 
For now let me know what you think...
Thanks!

http://snd.sc/WqBSFE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic