Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Synths
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Automation heaven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automation heaven
    Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 8:31am
Only done the first 4 -5 tutorials but I starting to realise Massive is a powerful SYnth.
Going from Operator to Massive is a big change.
I can't believe how many things you can modulate with envelopes..thats crazy. Think I just got lost for about an hour playing the same 2 bar loop...LOL
The possibilities really are endless...

What if there isn't  is no.4 activated in the amp section? no envelopes will be played? Is that why you must have the amplitude envelope (no.4) activated?
www.MonteProductions.com.au
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 9:42am
I have watched all the videos but i havent actually sat down and got right into playing & experimenting with massive yet

so would be good to hear some of the stuff your coming up with
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 12:20am
Alright I can put up some basic things I've come up with .
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 12:31am
This is a 1 bar loop I just rouglhy recorded out of session view.
It has:

2 instances of massive both playing a simple 1 bar loop.
Slight automation on a low pass cutoff ( actually being modulated by a envelope)
Then I was using the resonance and cutoff manually with my mouse to give it some more automation

Thats about it..

Made the drums at the start. using impulse, random, scale, . You will notice all the hi-hats are slightly different frequency, same as the snare , and the cross stick,  not really that noticeable but gives it a nice change ..rather than play the same hat over and over.
Not a really strong drum beat yet. The other house beat is just a loop I put over the top.

This is basically what I am using to practice things with in the course so far.

https://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/massive-1-bar-loop/s-5qCa9

morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 12:57am
hey Monte...

that is sounding well for a 1 bar loop... i think the timbres work well together

im using different techniques for drums..... modulating frequency on the hats to keep the sound fresh
i trick im gonna try out at some point is using white noise in hats to give the impression that it is not being struck in the same place that will give it a different sound

also reverb on each instrument to give it spacial awareness (ambience)
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 8:41am
just a short  1 min demo, just built off the last post. Now there is 3 instances of Massive in a 4 bar loop.
Not much variation in the bars though. Find it doesnt sound that great when I play different notes.
Think I need to pick a lead for the main melody. Might have to delete something to give it room.

Added some percussion and got rid of the snare I had before aswell.

Bass kind of sounds a bit funny to me, will need to change that

https://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/4-bar-loop/s-vTcoh
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 10:33pm
Amazing how much you can do with modulation eh? It can put so much variation into repetitive sounds, as well as making them more natural-sounding and pleasant to listen to!

You've gone quite dissonant there with the 4-bar loop Monte, playing the seventh note over the top. It's great to hear you making all your own sounds though! I'm glad you're getting into envelopes. Yes, if envelope 4 isn't dragged into the modulation box in Massive's amplitude section, then the level won't be controlled by it, meaning the amp will stay full the whole time, rather than go up and down in the way the envelope defines. If you turn it off temporarily, you'll hear what I mean...

r
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2012 at 12:51pm
Ok so you might hear a slight change or a massive change in this one. No pun intended Clown

cheers

Changed to much to list, any questions feel free to ask

https://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/house/s-8wn9g

Only rough so far... I will be away for 4 days so this will give me something to ponder on while im away

Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 12:13pm
Bump

Couple things that stand out is the vocals of course. I think I put the formant dial down to low on the vocoder  for starters.  Also I am not convinced the chords i played for the vocoder aren't suited...
It's my first time using the vocoder so it's going to take some practice.
Orchy View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 12:50pm
mmm not sure technically whats wrong with your vocals but i can offer that I cant pick up the words maybe a little volume with them too.... Maybe thats a confidence thing. Spit them out Drew what you saying.Smile.. Good that your using you own voice though... CReatively its very cool...I am sure you~ll work it out. As an afterthought perhaps it is over vocoded...too robotic... This you can change, got a great youtube to watch by dubspot on useing vocoders....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX_drnUQw_Y
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic