Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Production General > General Producer and DJ Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cool audio eqipment to get started

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsetse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cool audio eqipment to get started
    Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 10:39am
hi folks.
I'm quite new to the audio world. Good to be here....
I am producing realtime visuals since several years and decided to expand my work to audio as well.
At this point not only my self, but also my equipment lacks some audio capabilities and I really want to change that!
In order to get started quickly, I would appreciate some advice which audio hardware can be recommended as a basic setup.

What I have:
I'm working on a macbook pro with some okay bose around ear headphones and ableton live. Additionally I got a Akai APC 20 midi controller for convenient working in live. My sounds and loops are done in Audiomulch.
I'm quite happy with my choice of software, also the hardware setup is fine for now, but sooner or later I probably want to get a set of decent studio monitors and a external sound device for my MBP.

I certainly do not want to build a professional studio at home, but still want to hear what I am doing. Can anyone recommend a decent set of spreakers for audio production and a external sound card? What speakers eg. does Rob use in his tutorials? They look nice. What else will be coming up as soon as my soundscapes get more serious?

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 12:35pm
Hey Martin,

I use KRK VXT6 speakers and they rock! I can definitely recommend these, or the more affordable models like the Rokit series.

I use a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface at the moment and it does the job. The audio output performance of most interfaces is pretty similar (as a lot of digital to analogue converters have similar specs). The biggest variance comes at the input stage, where the type of mic preamp, input components and A/D converter all make a big difference to the quality of the sound. Best thing to do is to try out an interface if you can before buying.

Cheers,

Rob
robot planet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot planet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 8:41am
I own a pair of KRK Rokit 5's which are great cheap speakers (the more affordable ones same brand as Rob's) and a Novation Nio sound card, which is great as a cheap sound card.  Also I have access to a professional studio to do recording :)
www.soundcloud.com/robotplanet

http://www.robotplanet.info
tsetse View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsetse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 5:07pm
Hey guys.
Thanks for your comments. This was an interesting starting point for my homework on this topic.
At this point I tend to go for a pair of KRK RP-5 (Amazon also says "G2" whatever that is). Everybody seems to be very pleased with them (within this price tag). They seem to be very good value for money in a small home studio setup.

With some regard to future performances (in clubs etc.) I do not want to be too scrimpy with the audio interface. This will be the direct connection to super expensive sound systems, right?
Here I tend to go for the Apogee duet. I like the idea to have the audio interface connected to my firewire port. This probably is the way to go as I only have two USB ports on my Macbook Pro and I'll most likely need them for some peripherals...   Also there are some power issues reported with USB audio interfaces which I do not want to run into.

Does anybody have this specific setup in use? I would love to hear some comments on it.
For the next weeks I'm stuck with my headphones anyways as I'm on the road but this gives me some time to make up my mind...
Absolute Music View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolute Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 12:52pm
Surprisingly enough I was going to recommend my KRKs as well for some good speakers at an affordable price! In terms of the audio interface, may I ask what you will mainly be using it for? Will you be recording through it? Or just plugging your monitors into it?

Facebook: www.facebook.com/absolutemusicuk

Twitter: twitter.com/absolutemusicuk
tsetse View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsetse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 8:27am
I intend to record some audiosamples via the audio interface as well, but probably not on a very professional level. just to add a "personal" note to my sounds library and do some experiments... 
The main task of the audio interface will be to hook up the monitors with my laptop or play in a club over it.

After finding the Apogee Duet a little pricy and not very flexible for being Mac only, I spotted an other interesting option:

Echo Audio Fire 2
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/AudioFire2/index.php
This one is connected via Firewire as well, very compact and has a very reasonable price tag.

Any thoughts on this?
Cheers
geoffbrecker View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoffbrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 2:49am
I would highly recommend getting Genelec 8030's. I loooove mine. Flat, true and really smooth.
tsetse View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsetse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 9:23am
Ok, I'm back from the road after some month and ready to go.

The first thing I've got is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 firewire audio interface.
I've quickly tried a Motu Microbook (its tiny and very stilish) but I didn'te feel so comfortable with it, as it uses one of my two USB ports. I wanna use my Akai APC 20 and one additional controler. Sooner or later I probably need to start working with a USB hub anyways but I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.
The Saffire Pro 14 feels a bit bulky in handling compared to the Motu, but I hope I made a good choice. What do you think?

Next: the speakers.
My local store really praises the Yamaha HS-80's. They also sound quite impressive, compared to the other speakers in the store in the same price range. They might be a bit big on my little livingroom table but I think I'm gonna go for them.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic