Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unable to preview sound files in live

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heymate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to preview sound files in live
    Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 5:33pm
Bit of a newbie here. I can hear the sound when I drag the file to the midi track but I cannot get anything to appear in the preview tab. No waveforms, no sound. The headphone is blue. Just baffled, Thanks for helping. btw I ran the repair library thing as well..Hoping for help
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 5:56pm
hi buddy

there are no wave forms on instruments......you cannot preview the sound of an instrument until live9

in the clip view you will see piano notes and a time line to insert midi notes.....

vital point is make sure the track is record armed

see how far you get with this and let us know of any change
Heymate View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heymate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 6:30pm
Thank you so much...I am just learning so I appreciate the help. I made my first record in 1969 on CBS!and Big smile I have just retired a Fostex System and am determined to master Ableton!  I will try what you suggested and again, I am very grateful for the help :)
Heymate View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heymate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 6:45pm
One comment morgan, this part in the manual threw me off
Previewing Files
Live allows you to preview samples and clips in the File Browser before they are imported
into the program. To enable previewing, activate the Preview switch next to the Preview Tab
at the bottom of the Browser.

Trying to make sense of that !
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 7:06pm
yeah you can review from the live browser.... but this is only... wav & mp3 audio files....
like i say this is going to be a new feature in live9 next year.... were you can hear the sound of the instrument befor inserting onto a track...

to do this now... you need to have a instrument on a midi track with a few notes drawn in and you use the HOT SWAP FEATURE......

PREVIEW IS SET AS DEFAULT SO ... as soon as you click on a audio file in the browser you should be able to hear it.....

May I suggest.... and recommend taking the beginners/intermediate course.... it encompasses all of these little things to really get you on the move with work flow...
the content in the videos are fantastic and will eliminate about 90% of your questions... so would be worth every penny

anyway the pic show my audio file and highlighted is the preview area.... ensure the headphones are highlighted blue....and this volume can be adjusted with the headphone icon on the master channel

Heymate View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heymate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 8:22pm
Thanks mate.. Very Kind of you to take the time. btw I spent the first 30 years of my life living in London..started out with the Ampex Reel to Reel!!Smile
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 8:28pm
thats okay.....

sound very old skool.... amazing how technology moves on... I just found out today that my new headphones have little intel fairies inside with drum kits LOL
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 8:44am
nice one Dave!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic