Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Reason Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdul disu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help newbie
    Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 8:26pm
Hi there, I recently started on the reason courses (say 1 week ago) and I am still having difficultly in getting into it properly. I am using a Mac with an Akai MPK 49. Is there anyone here who is knowledgable about using the Akai MPK 49 or can direct me to a good Youtube video on how to use it effectively? At present I have completed the first four video modules of the beginners/intermediate course but I just don't feel like I am grasping it as well as I can. Maybe music production isn't something for me but some help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 8:49pm
Alright Buddy....

be assured any software can be a head bender in the beginning
if you like making music or want to be able to move to a full production .... just stick with it... after some graft it actually becomes alot of fun and if you can do that and make great music... thats a great combination...

I use the MPK 61.... what do you want to know buddy??
abdul disu View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdul disu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 11:34pm
wow a quick reply thanks. Basically I want to get a video or info on the basics of using the mpk 49. Allocation of drums to the pads, notes to the keys etc. Primarily I am into hip hop music but I also would like to make house and electronic music as that is something that I am very much into. Do you have a video or know of videos that I can watch to get an understanding of how to use this keyboard as everyone tells me that it is a very good standard. I have set the keyboard up so that it syncs with reason and is useable but how do I create a setting so that when I load up reason it can be saved and I am up and ready to go. Thanks for the words of encouragement though it means alot.
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdul disu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 11:39pm
Also there are some tracks that I would like to sample. How do I convert them into wav. files if they are mp3's? Apologies if my questions are really dim but I'm new to this.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 12:10am
Smile...
well there are obviously some straight forward settings that should be pre mapped to reason / as for remap with in reason (maybe Rob can point you in the right direction to set up performance controls / sliders pads and knobs... to work on basic things)

but if you want to get technical with the MPK i would recommend you install the VYZEX EDITOR software. and read up on the manuals provided to make the MPK do exactly what you want.

I dont know of any videos other than very a basic walk through of functionality
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdul disu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 7:11pm
Hi there what programs would people recommend that I can use to convert mp3 to wav files?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 7:23pm
alright buddy

there are a few out there for free or buy... I have tried several converters and i have always found myself coming back to REAL PLAYER.... you can convert mp3 mp4 pretty much anything to WAV....

ITS EASY TO USE... just drag and drop files in... select 1 or all the files and on the left hand side it says convert to... select what you want and push start and away it goes....
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 8:43pm
Hey Abdul,

Sorry, I missed this post somehow! Thanks Dave for responding!

As it happens, I made a new video about the MPK last week, which tells you about how it works generally. It's not the best keyboard on the market for instant control of software, and you need to use Reason Remote to manually set up a template session if you want a usable control surface. I show you how to do that on the course, using Novation's X-Station as the keyboard....

You can watch the MPK review movie I made here.

As far as audio conversion goes, there are lots of apps available as Dave says. iTunes is another easy one. You just set wav as the import setting in the General preferences. Then, import the samples into iTunes, select them in the iTunes window and choose 'Create WAV Version' in the Advanced menu.

r
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdul disu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 10:40pm
Thanks for this guys. This really helped. I feel a bit disappointed now that I have bought the MPK49 as I had hoped to purchase a midi keyboard that is simple to use and can integrate with reason well. I'll have to make do in the mean time. 
I want to sample some old records and I was wondering if this is similar to me recording a guitar rift or vocals. What would the actual process be? I have the numark pt-01 (not the usb one unfortunately) However would I just connect this to my soundcard and then be able to chop the sample up in recycle? Please let me know.
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 12:13pm
No worries Abdul. Yeah, I was surprised it didn't work better with Reason too! At least you've got some nice options for playing instruments though.

Yeah, it's exactly the same process as recording anything else. You just need to connect the record deck to your mixer, then connect the output of the mixer to line-level inputs on your soundcard and then record the records onto an audio track or perhaps using the 'record sample' option on NN-19 or NN-XT. You can then edit the samples from there. I show how to do this in the sampling modules on the course.

Another option is to record them into Recycle but this only needs to be done if you want to Reason-optimise them, e.g. turn them into rex files for slicing up etc. It's perfectly fine just to create wav samples by recording the samples directly into NN-19 or NN-XT, or onto an audio track in the sequencer. Any samples can easily be edited, timestretched and so on from there.

r
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic