Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE SUNDAY POST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE SUNDAY POST
    Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 8:01pm
THIS THREAD.....Is for all those who would like to take part in a community feedback
regardless of being a partial or complete tracks made through the week.

it will give us all the opportunity to get help or to explain a little more in depth certain processes in how you have developed a sound, maybe someone would like to replicate your sound... or refine the sound you are working on.....

ITS ALL ABOUT JOINT EFFORT PEOPLE!!! YOU will still have the ultimate decision in which direction to take your track
although there is nothing wrong with a little bit of sharing and advice from a few more ears...

I shall kick things off in the post below
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 8:18pm
SO...Im as fresh as it comes to starting a new project....

Here is my DRUM PATTERN i am trying to create a swing/groove in my mix..that has been missing in all my projects so far

Im using the 808 kit... grouped on 8 seperate tracks so i can really compress filter and EQ each sound to how i want it to stand out in the pattern...
its not much more complicated than that other than...I have made a few tweeks here and there to make it my own
AND ..... i am using CORPUS on the KICK DRUM & CLAP...

over to you....if you like this sound ask for settings....or if you think something sounds not quite right...id appreciate you bringing this to my attention

PeaceYing Yang
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 3:13am
Dave Is the kick on beat 1? (downbeat) and is that a 808 tom playing throughout the bar?
just trying to picture in my head whats going on

SUNDAY POST
Good timing for me as I have just finished a track. Haven't spent as much time on it as usual but I think it turned out ok.
Tried alot of different approaches and techniques in this track. Started off mainly trying to get sounds on their own frequency but its not as easy as it sounds. I think I ended up with some sounds here and there on the same frequency. But hopefully it's not to muddy.

Any feedback or questions most welcome! enjoy 

www.MonteProductions.com.au
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 8:39am
Sunday 'post'! Love it! (puns are pretty much the entire basis of my sense of humour!)

Great idea guys. Setting a rough deadline for yourself each week is an awesome thing to do! I'll give all the tracks a listen and feed back when I get a moment.....

r
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 5:58pm
Tongue you have a great sense of humour then

hey up monte...the kick is on the first beat of the bar & mid+low toms are 1.4 2.4 3.4 4.4
listened to your track i like whats is going on.... i noticed the wave form to be very thin!!! any thoughts on adding melodics or harmonies?
it has a nice hard edge to it.. and great as a section on the track where you can actually take it to that point...the breaks are adequate to.....though i would like to hear abit of relief....carnt describe exactly what i mean by that other than NO OFFENCE... you did say yourself you spent little time on it...and thats the impression i get from the track
ealinger View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:58am
http://soundcloud.com/elilinger/2012-08-19

Ok guys, better a little late than never... 11:57 Sunday night here on the West Coast.  I'll try to take a listen to everyone's work when I get back from work tomorrow night.  

Really looking forward to hearing everyone's work!

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 3:37pm
Some feedback for you...

Dave - the drum pattern is nice! Some comments though... the clap shifts around a bit. Are you using chorus as an insert? Or some other modulation effect perhaps? Maybe, have it as a send effect or bring its dry/wet balance down a bit to centralise it if so. It seems to be wandering about in the stereo field a bit at present.

Also, you could get more width into the high frequency parts as they're all in the middle, e.g. the hats and shaker. How about using some stereo (short) delay effects on those?

Andrew - the sense of space and width in your mixes has improved no end! The arrangement is quite random in places, such is your style it seems! I like the simplest bits the best, for example 1.01-1.12 and 2.26-2.40. In these sections, all the parts are working well together and there's a clear sense of key - Ab.

Earlier on, the key seems to shift about and the lead parts can confuse this further. Around the 1.30 mark, the track seems to get a bit lost. The lead part that comes in during the break has some interesting intervals going from the Ab down to a D, which is a dissonant interval. Then, when the bass comes back in, the synth part also has an E in it, so the two parts combined sound a bit off, or multitonal (like there are 2 keys going on). If you're after an experimental track then these techniques are fine but the norm in house music is to have a clearer sense of key and nicer intervals!

Eli - sounding great! big and nicely balanced mix. Maybe you could get more dynamics in the track if you had the low continuous bass part sidechained by a 4 4 kick (that's muted)? It would mean that bass was a bit more interesting and dynamic with more of a pulse.

You could maybe also get a bit more contrast by having parts drop out a bit more, e.g. for the bar at 0.58 when the snares come in, you could drip everything else out, or filter them at least, so there's more impact when the bass drops. You could also add a high frequency part at the same time as the bass dropping maybe, e.g. some hats perhaps. If not when the bass drops, then maybe 8 bars later.... it definitely feels like the track needs more cymbals!

good work guys, great idea to get this post going!

r
ealinger View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 4:56am
Hi mlf, 

Just took a listen to your new drum break... definitely has a interesting tribal feel to it.  I agree with Rob on the claps, i think they are clattering around a bit. This could be nice at moments, but you might find they will muddy up your track as you add elements later.  Maybe that chorus effect is something you bring in at a specific time in the mix when you have some space.  

There's also a slight background "riniging", which I think is from the kick.  It's sort of distracting, but also kind of interesting... it might give you a clue as to what kind of sound you might want to add next.  

Interested to see what kind of secondary percussion you layer on top of this, especially if it proceeds in a tribal direction.  
ealinger View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 5:33am
Hi Andrew,

This is my first listen to one of your tracks... you have a unique and interesting sound!  I'm just learning too so take my comments with a grain of salt...  

General comments:
I think there are a lot of cool sections here, as Rob mentioned.  I like the muted analog(?) synth sound that comes in from the beginning a lot... though the somewhat random snare hits to me detract from the interesting undulating quality.  It wonder what would happen if the section that drops in at :14 was the same or related to that earlier muted synth.

Also, the kind of buzzing effect of the snare hits is so frequent that the interesting effect kind of it wears off.  Maybe choose a couple of moments where that comes in for maximum impact?  

Eqing seems to be kind of muffled or something... everything sounds a little like it's far away. 

Most of the melodies or loops seem to hang around long enough to become a theme or repeated pattern that comes back, so this could be a kind of new, freer style.  Or, You could also look at this more like a catalog of interesting sounds and sections.  Then you could mine it for the best say 4 or 5 and really control each part, which might result in a more cohesive whole.   

I think you've got a totally original style... i think the more you can control your elements (without loosing the freedom of it), the better it will get.

E
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 9:06am
Hey guys I have been busy as! off to army in a sec . Ill try get as much in as I can before I go.

Some feedback:
Dave

Really like your drum beat I think it is definately something you can build off! I wanted to hear a extra tom here and there, but this could either ruin or spice it up.. all depends what you want. I agree with the snare ...sounding like some kind of effect which may be good in a section, but maybve not for the whole song.

Eli

first impressions = excellent! 
You have some really nice powerfull synths (the kind I like ) were they in operator/analog?
Love the random snare hit in the build up at 47secs'ish (dont know why but it got me thinking something was about to happen , but it didnt)
Only listeneded to it twice so far. 
Feels like it is missing something..not sure was it is but....a shaker on a high freq as Rob said I think would be awesome :) but dont over use it..me thinks anyway...
On the long sustained notes maybe try (not sure if it will work) add a compressor set ratio to INF and threshold down about half way or more. Might bring it to life even more! or destroy it! haha . something to try...im only new aswell.

Feedback Replies 

Dave - thanks man yea I should totally spend more time on it.. kinda felt like it was done in my head ..but yea could of made it better in time. Will try add some ambience or something and see how it turns out :)

Rob

I think you very cleverly picked up my lack of knowledge of key signatures! HA! I dont know how you do that ie: know what key and notes are being played!?!? lots of ear training?
We are covering this in class soon so it is going to help imensly. I have a cheat sheet for key signatures but I didnt use it for this song! can't believe its that obvious!
I really thing using proper keys and harmonic intervals is going make a big difference to my music
As for the arrangement.....what can I say......My mind reverted back to my old self! but with a hint of arrangement! I dont know if it's a style but I dont really listen to other music when I;m making something so I guess that turn out whats more in my head than whats on the radio.
Thanks heaps for the feedback..was a bit of a experiment with beat repeat and more of a jamming session than a properly laid out piece. Also experiemented with operator and the many audio effects racks..

Eli

hey! thanks for listening :) 
I thik I know what you mean about the synth at the start :) its actually just a snare drum with 3 hits a bar..but it has effects on it so sound like a synth. it has REVERB, PING-PONG, and BEAT REPEAT. oh and a EQ8 so it is sittiing where I wanted it on the frequency band. Clever little trick that beat repeat. (It's in the advanced tutorial with Rob) Thumbs Up thanks Rob.
Well there are actually 2 diff snares on diff trackswith heavy effects both sound like synths a bit
I agree the snare effect was definately overused and gets boring and repeatitive pretty quickly, good pickup.
EQ'ing is definately not my strong point..I think you are picking up on something else there.
Thanks for the encouraement! Look forward to hearing more from you
peace

www.MonteProductions.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>
  Share Topic