Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE SUNDAY POST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 55>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:58pm
Ah crap just got into bed. I'll fix it tomorrow...guess it will still be Sunday somewhere in the world .
That's weird though..I used the secret link in the box.
www.MonteProductions.com.au
ealinger View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 7:04am
http://soundcloud.com/elilinger/2012-08-25

Hey Guys,

Wanted to push this a little more to get the structure of the entire song out, but life got in the way a little bit today. 

Tried to work in the hi frequency sounds that everyone felt were lacking last week.  I've been focusing on building some energy into the track, using filters and some variation in one of the analog synth lines.  I'm starting to think that I want the main riff to emerge out of these variations, but it will take me a little experimentation to find the right sound.

The mix is also starting to sounding like it's going to need some tweaking when all these elements are playing at the same time, but that's not my focus at the moment.  I hope to have a rough cut of the entire song by Friday my time!

Any and all feedback welcome, as usual...  I'll drop in tomorrow to take a listen to anything people have posted at that time.

E

Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 8:50am
OK...So... I uploaded a newer version..here is the secret link...if this doesn't work I guess I will have to make it public..

http://soundcloud.com/ghettomonte/work-in-progress/s-eAJIk

I copied and pasted it and it worked for me

You will have to ignore all the volume  levels.. they are all out ...
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:04am
Eli

You have definately made the song better with those higher frequencies :)
It's good to see how a track evolves. There is more a sense of space with the filters which is good.
This songs reminds me of something..cant remember what exactly though.

At the 1.30 'ish mark I was hoping for the drums to change. Where you have the build up and introduce the new sounds I was hoping for a change. I like the snare you use in the build up. What does the beat sound like if you use that snare from the 1:30 mark onwards in the main beat?
I feel as though the song is being restricted by the drums somewhat as it's kinda the same throughout. But this is  what you could of wanted? I think (my own opinon of course) is to change up the drums abit at the 1:30 mark or a slightly different variation.
Maybe something to try or not..
Hope this helps 

morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:12pm
Right then...!!! they call a Bank Holiday Monday an extended Sunday Wink just made that up...sorry for my lateness-ness for posting.
so Ill do this and check out your stuff...

so I tried to put a bass loop together just using a single crotchet on 1 bar
then to a sustained note for a semibreve... then 4 crochets per bar
and im suprised what i can actually do with just a few notes..with side chains

1 thing I dont get is....as you might hear...is.... what sounds like the sound has split like extreme panning!!!???
Im using Analogue.... and this split sound only seems to happen when i turn the volume up on AMP2

Analogue bass

morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:40pm
Hey up

ELI
yeah it is sounding good.....I have mentioned this already as monte has about how familiar the sound is...like i can't quite place it
may be it is similar to something or you have very cleverly...created a piece of music that gives you an instant connection to it ( like you have created a memorable memory in my life I have no memory of )Smile

can i ask how you make arrangement??? do you kind of lay out the drums..... then layer the bass and so on?????
and another question.... have you used any samples on this track or is every sound designed by you?

Monte

top sound you got going on there... you seem to roll out good bass lines.... as i have said before a pleasurable toxin hit to my brain
nice drums and break downs.....from the looks and sound has a good structure to build on & has the definite makings of you best track yet....so please don't rush this buddy....

PeaceYing Yang
ealinger View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:25am
Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback... I think I got your name confused with Dave's a couple posts back, sorry about that.

I agree that the drums are perhaps a little static.  I was considering switching to a 4-4 after one of the builds, but so far that hasn't had the effect I've been looking for... I'll probably have to construct a new breakbeat to mix it up.  I'll test out whether the snare from the build has a place in there.

I'll try to take a listen to your submission here in a sec...

Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:02am
Hey Dave , just listened to your track, not on the best sound systen as I am at work.

It is sounding really good. I'm not sure if thats 1 synth or 2 synths in the lead up to the drums. But it starts clean and gets dirtier . I really like that.  Definately got some nice sounds out of te synth.
I am liking the main part with the drums aswell. has a nice flow.
The sidechaning works well too.
Not sure what constructive critism I can give at the moment, except maybe the beginning could have something extra in it.
But maybe this will change the whole build up structure..so you would have to carry it all the way through to the beat.
Well done though!
ealinger View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:16am
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the comments.  It's funny that you and Andrew both think this song sounds familiar to you... I really don't have any answers for you on why that would be.  It's not a remix and I'm not using any samples aside from very generic drum samples... everything else is synthesized in midi tracks,  primarily w/ operator or analog.  I've started out with a couple of the instrument rack presets for some tracks, but I've tweaked most of them significantly.  

Processwise, I've really tried to push everything along together as much as I can...  I started in session view with the drums, bassline and main synth stab I suppose, with some variations of each.  I also had a bunch of other pads, synth lines, and secondary percussion, but I ended up cutting a lot of those out.  I wasn't too concerned with structure when I was recording from session view to arrangement, more just trying to get some good juxtapositions and find some interesting moments.  There was some structure there at that point, but I didn't really keep it, it was just something to start working with. 

Then I took the parts that seemed to be working best and tried to build up to them in a more linear fashion, developing the song along the timeline.   I had to go back and switch out drum samples and add effects as I went though... it took me some time to find out where the space is in the arrangement was to insert these.  It's also been helpful for me to identify where I want the transitions to occur and then really work on them over and over til they seem right.  

It's easy for me to get fixated on something that doesn't seem to be working, but if it's working well enough, I've been trying to move on to keep the process going forward.  You can always tweak it later or take it out, but getting all the pieces in place has helped keep me from getting stuck.

I don't know if any of this is helpful... I guess the main idea for me has been to try to have a plan, but be opportunistic when something starts to work and don't be afraid to change your approach.  Also, most nights I make an mp3 of the progress I've made and listen to it on the way to work, or going to sleep or whatever.  I tend to get a lot of my ideas after listening to sections when I'm away from the computer, then making a mental note of what to try when I get back to working. 

Hope this helps!
E

ealinger View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ealinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 3:38am
Hey Andrew,

Just took a listen to your track... sounds really good!  I think it's definitely got some potential to make a great track.  

My comments:
The structure is vastly improved... you can really start to see the outlines of a song, rather than a jam session.  Keep it up. 

I'm not sure if there is a reverb effect on your drum kit that's causing this, but the drums kinda feel far away.  For me, I think it would be nice to have the drums a little more in the forefront.  The kick could get a little bigger too perhaps?
Also, I'm not sure what the frequency spectrum looks like on this song, but it sounds like it might be missing some high frequency...

I'm excited to see how the structure of the song further progresses and what the next element you add in might be! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 55>
  Share Topic