Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Track

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Track
    Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 8:03pm
Hi fellow students and producers alike

Here is my latest track.......highlights

I totally love it....but has caused me so many problems.... i almost gave up on it...

I hope you can be brutally honest... because i think there is room for improvement from feed back given

for starters i havent made the arrangement in the traditional sense as the flow became too broken... I tried to tighten stuff up but when i did it put everything out of time... so the arrangement was recorded live with the use of my APC40

anyway i hope you like what you hear

peaceYing Yang
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 3:02am
Has a nice flow.
Really like the drums in the background.
Really like the ambience, gives it a nice air feeling and lightness to the track.

I like the steel dum like noise ( synth I think?) Could have been used a little less maybe, is a very powerfull kind of sound in the song. I really like it but if it was used less it would have left me wanting to hear it more. If you get what I mean.

Ill have another listen when I get time. 

Cool Song though!
Frescos View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frescos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 12:11pm
Sounds very nice, to me it needs more change in there maybe have an odd bass line come in have way through whilst the rest fades out for a bit or something just to break the track up a bit then build up and drop back into the original track  Thumbs Up
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 1:06pm
Sounding nice!

Well chosen sounds and nicely balanced, with a good sense of space in the mix.

I agree with the others in that it could have more variation maybe. I do this with tracks a lot myself, keep things running throughout when it's much more effective to have them coming in and out. When you have a great-sounding, simple groove, it works on its own! Then, you can just have parts creeping in and out to tease people and leave them wanting more like Monte says. This does tend to apply more to heavier tracks than ambient stuff like this, but it's also valid across the board.

I love the vibe of the track - nice, chilled, kind of 'Orbital' style or like a pleasant apex twin tune. It's lead by the harmonies rather than the drums, but the rhythm keeps driving in the background. It could have more bass though, perhaps in one of the main synth parts if not the drums.

r
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 10:54pm
well all your feed back pleases me..... everything points to the arrangement all of which are very helpful ideas...

it has always been my intention to rework my arrangement.... i just needed to lay something out half reasonable because i was in real need of some kind of feed back as i was giving up on it... but admittedly it is a problem... The arrangement

i know i can work with your idea monte less of the dominant synth  use it 1 bar in to the piano an maybe 2bars out

what will be harder is the bass cause i find it quite an irritating sound when making this the main focus in a quieter section of the song ( but gives the over all sound real colour) i think this is because i dropped the original bass line and struggled with this one to make it fit...like i say filling it out to give it colour

there are 2 parts that play out continuously thats the percs (no problem) BUT... if you listen to the first 8 bars this is a kind of turnaround loop and with out this part playing at any point absolutely kills the track dead
ANY ideas on how i could work this part more..
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:08pm
hey guys can you help me out on this one please
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 10:19pm
I'll give it another listen shortly and get back to you....
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 9:34am
It's a tough track to comment on this one! It's quite unique in style and has elements from lots of genres. It's also pretty complex - the harmonies shift continually, and it's a 7-bar rather than 8-bar sequence, which is quirky. Bearing that in mind, you don't necessarily need to have that much variation in the arrangement, as there's already plenty going on and enough parts coming in and out to keep it interesting.

I would say, therefore, that it's not really a problem having that part looping throughout, as it's clearly the basis of the track. Maybe you could try filtering the part right down so it's just the bass frequencies for a section in the middle or something, with some of the nice lead parts that come in over the top, with even more effects washing over the whole thing, and just minimal beats, then bring the filter back up and have the main beat come back in.........

By the way, bassline-wise, what happens when you put in sustained bass notes that follow the harmony? e.g. deep bass notes lasting a bar each of C, E, A, E, F, D, F

it's a really nice thought-provoking track though mate, and you can hear the sentiment you've obviously put into it!

r
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 10:49am
hi..

thanks for listening again.... yeah i ment a 7 bar.... completely accidental.... but realised it was changing the sounds on the other tracks and making then do more and sounding like there is alot more to it... for example after 1 cycle the start of the 7bars is the end note of an 8bar loop..so the subsequent sequence of notes played together are different and so on

i have been playing around with the track and Monte was right about over use of my synth line...so im going to sort that
i tried some filtering in certain parts to as that seems to work well...i think best with a notch @ around 350Hz which gives a really rich sound at quieter parts of the track ..but i think i will automate the filter more at these particular points
i havent really used any side chaining yet ...but soloed (the 7 bar loop)it sounds weird routed to my piano or violin but sounds quite good working together... it sort of gets lost in the main sounds but keeps the over all track feeling full and how i want it to sound cause i feel the 7 bar can be a bit menacing at times.....
so overall the advice form you all has been great thanks

1 question though...... i kinda get side compression...... but what is meant to be happening to the sound when you sidechain with auto filter

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 11:18am
oh...also...... you mentioned its not genre specific..... how do i identify this drift when adding new tracks or element to your sound
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic