Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum > Live-Courses.com Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flat is best ....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weckerle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat is best ....
    Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 11:42pm
Hi Rob, first sorry for my bad English Embarrassed
Question : on MIDI note editor (note ruler) i can see the "black keys" on sharp  mode (C#, D#, F# ecc,ecc). How i can see the "black keys" on flat mode (Db, Eb, Gb ecc,ecc) ?

Congratulations on the live-course, besides being useful and very well done, you speak very understandable even for those unfamiliar with the English language. Thanks !  Clap

Weckerle
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 11:50am
Hey Weckerle!

Thanks, I'm glad you're liking the course, and finding it easy to understand!

Yeah, the keys are just displayed as sharps not flats, and I'm not aware of a way to change this. So, you just need to remember that C# is Db, D# is Eb, F# is Gb, G# is Ab and A# is Bb.

Cheers,

r
Weckerle View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weckerle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 8:37pm
Rob, thanks for the quick response.
Yes, i remember that C# is Db, D# is Eb, F# is Gb, G# is Ab and A# is Bb, but if i play on F major key (for example), i prefer to see Bb and not A# on my MIDI note editor. However, this is not a Ableton Live serious gap.... i just have to change my musical habit (coming from the conservatory).

Weckerle
nick fontana View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick fontana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 6:48pm
I really don't understand this things with the notes, how can i make the calculation? For example goin from Db to C with the transpose?

Cheers,
Nick
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 8:35pm
Alright Buddy..

I think I may be able to help you with this... if you wanted to transpose D# or flat to C... this would be 1semi-tone

are you familiar with scales Nick??
if not it is quite easy to look up on Wikipedia

it helps to know what key you are playing in also.... so when you transpose you remain in key of the major scale you are playing...

so the link i sent is C MAJOR... Which is all the white notes.. consisting of 8 notes... C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

As follows in order of the letters TONE - TONE - TONE - SEMI TONE - TONE - TONE - TONE - SEMI TONE

so F and the last C in this order are SEMI TONES..... BECAUSE there is no black key in between the white keys

So if you want to transpose from D TO C this would be 2 semi tones (2 semi tones = 1 tone)  C#  &  C

If you wanted to transpose from F TO C this would be 5 semi tones  E D# D C# C

I hope this makes sense to you...Thumbs Up
any more questions just ask away

Peace Ying Yang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic