Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Reason Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arrangement timing issues in Reason 6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hijump60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arrangement timing issues in Reason 6
    Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 7:22pm
Hi Rob,
I've come a long way in Reason thanks to your courseClap and the supplemental reading I've been doing, but I'm still not to the level I want to be at as far as laying down my musical material. 

Yesterday, I was experimenting with a few samples in the NN-XT. I found a great Cello performance sample and I tried to get the sample to playback at 80 bpm in a 4/4 time signature to create sort of a mellowed out strings section for a hip hop track. The problem was the sample was off Confused when I laid it down in the arrangement/sequencer and try as I might, I could not adjust the sound of the sample to fit in the groove of the drum track I had created Angry.

So I've got two questions:  
1.) Do you have any advice for editing tracks in the sequencer window concerning cutting/trimming audio and stretching audio in Reason?Cry
2.) How does time stretching/audio time stretching work in Reason (i.e. where can I find more information on time stretching/audio stretching/warping?)Confused

Sincerely,
hijump60
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 7:56pm
Hey!

Glad to hear you're learning lots!

Timestretching is easy in Reason. Just import audio onto a track using the 'Import Audio File' option in the File menu, then it will normally have 'stretch mode' activated as default. This often means it will automatically sync to your session, but if not, you can hold down the option key on a Mac (I think the ctrl key on a PC, but maybe also the alt key) and then drag the end of the audio clip to stretch it out or squash it. Dragging the end without the option key held down will just trim it rather than change its timing.

So, if you import in a loop that you know is a bar long, but it ends before the marker for the start of bar 2, you can use this technique to stretch it out to that marker so it's in sync.

If you ctrl-click on the clip (right-click with a PC). then you'll see the options for disabling and enabling stretch in the context menu. Disabling it will make the loop play at its original timing no matter what.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Rob
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 7:58pm
Module 3 on the beginners course covers this by the way, if you want more help with it...

r
hijump60 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hijump60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 8:10pm
Thanks Rob!
hijump60 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hijump60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 9:58pm
Hi Rob,
One last question!
I found what you were talking about as far as importing an audio file and then ctrl - clicking it to "squeeze" down the audio (i.e. time stretch, warp, etc.) 

However, what I am struggling with is using the razor tool to slice at the front of an audio file or even a midi note with the razor tool and then move it to the start of the Audio Clip or MIDI Clip

Say for example I have some silence at the beginning of my audio track or say my MIDI performance is slightly off and the note is too far forward. What is the best way to chop off the front of the silence in the beginning of the MIDI clip/audio clip and then move the contents of that respective clip to the front (i.e. 0 bar 0 beat 0 1/16th, 0 tick)? That has not been working for me at all. Again, I'm moving from Ableton to Reason. It took me a while but this is a fundamental skill I have mastered in Ableton which allows me to adjust timing on the fly. In Reason this has become very difficult for me and can be frustrating.
I think the concept of the clip is causing me to struggle because it seems like I can't slice the audio or the MIDI note directly, but I am instead fumbling around with the clip envelope. The best way I can describe it is that it's like trying to manipulate something or trying to arrange something that has got a plastic bag around it. In other words the clip envelopes are really giving me trouble.

Sincerely,
hijump60
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 4:04pm
I've made a quick movie to demonstrate those 2 features.... check it here and let me know if you still have any questions afterwards...

r
hijump60 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hijump60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:39pm
Rob, 
Thanks for your help! I will view the video when I get home tonight from work.

hijump60
hijump60 View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hijump60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 10:50pm
Rob,
Bravo! Great video and now I'm ready to crack on with Reason. Very helpful and I appreciate your patience!

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 10:12am
No worries!
Asa1987 View Drop Down
Tea Boy
Tea Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asa1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 9:58pm
Dear Rob,

Just quickly. I have imported songs from Reason 3 into 7 and the timing and positioning of my redrum patterns are out from the originals.

Any quick solution rather than painstakingly moving every pattern (up to 40 or so) back into line potentially without success as having one slightly off near the start means the rest are off too would be exceptionally appreciated. I literallly do not know where to start with this.

Please help.

Regards

Asa
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic