Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ADVICE ON TUTORIALS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADVICE ON TUTORIALS
    Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:15pm
Hi peeps,

im back after nearly a year... i invested in an apc 40 because it came with a version of ableton live. i felt at that time it was the best intro to serve my purpose  for music performance and mixing tracks.

i splashed out the other day and bought the box set of ableton suite 8.. im so happy about this but its that comprehensive im not sure where to begin
i know my way around the software and what works for me with the limited options that were available to me. but i lack the understanding of production... and operating and understanding all the devices... building a track. im not musically gifted but i often get these awesome tunes in my head and i can break each part down... but lack the ability to transport my ideas to ableton because of my lack of understanding and my very basic understanding of musical theory.
i know what my ear likes... i just want the understanding to physically get there

so my question to you is.....

after taking these courses did you find you significantly improved?
and where did you go for there?

d2pc View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote d2pc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:40pm
The software has to become an extension of your brain. Just as you are able to imagine it in your mind, ultimately, you need to put it down in writing, that is, in the DAW software.
Think of it as launching a rocket. Most of the fuel is spent just to get it off the ground, then it is easy sailing as you pull out from gravity.
Start baby steps. Try to execute a small tune, like row row row your boat. Do a Midi track for the tune, add a sampled drum loop, add a vocal line. Time stretch, edit, change order, stutter, etc...
Don't get overwelmed otherwise, you will not know where to start.
Once you get stuck, check a tutorial or ask a question, then move on. Don't expect that you will be able to review all the tutorials and then start putting down a song. THey have to go hand in hand.
Best way to learn swimming is by jumping in the water, and not reading a manual on how to swim Wink
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:51pm
words of wisdom D2...MAKES ALOT OF SENSE....

basically most of the stuff i tinker with ... i dont even know how i got there
and thats the most frustrating part
and what i do create sounds great but get lost in the mix down before ive contructed the basics

what i need is structure and a degree of understanding as to where im going with my ideas to actually get to a final result...

how are you finding the tutorial? cause my hard earned is at the ready of positive feed back Smile so far it sound like you have a clear understanding of were you are at & going
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 4:38am
I'm in the same boat . I know what my ear likes and I have occasionaly stumbled across some ok tunes that I have made but no idea how I got there.
I finding the course really good. Hard but good. Some things come easy ...but for me the synthesizing and some other parts are confusing. But Rob is always willing to answer questions.
1 thing that has helped me alot has been doing a bit of piano (just beginner stuff) learning some chords, note values and basic lingo..
Also Ive been a drummer for a while which has helped I think. I find making the beats and that really easy..A basic understanding of music theory does help ..but not essential..
I find making melodies is hard..Soon I will go exploring this avenue further. There must be books or something on writing melodies??
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 8:23am
hey monte...

thanks for your feed back... i actually signed up about 2/3 am this morning. its the only way i was ever going to get any sleep.

look forward to futher posts on other subjects

but yeh everything we do will enhance our skillset

it was pointed out to me by my stepdad (who used to tour & play with david bowie) that i had natural rhymn. when i hear music both my feet and hands are independantly tapping out the tune.
and when i first sat down at a drum kit it was the same... just tapped out a 4/4 with kick/snare/hat... mixed that up abit and threw in a roll & crash Big smile

so i need to learn some kind of theory and play cords etc
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 12:10pm
Today I watched a tutorial on you tube" how to make a simple melody" or something like that. After watching that it got me motivated and spent a hour or tour in live mucking around. I didn't realise alot of melodies were made like this.
 watch these 2 vids and tell me what you think. I printed off the sheet of paper that he shows in the 2nd vid.
The 2nd video is of ableton aswell, I like the way he simplifies things.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 6:40pm
alright monte Smile

thanks for the suggestion to watch these videos ... i checked them out briefly... and it kinda made me realize why i invested good money in a well structured course and this is what i want to focas on right now
i think some of the youtube clips are really great and trawled hours of clips that helped me along way...and in many respects  hindered me aswell...
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:29pm
Yep thats how I used to teach myself by watching you tube.
But I realise now how much better it is doing this course.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 7:06pm
maybe a bit further down the line once i have a point of reference from what i learn here

i will maybe go back to viewing other peoples ideas... and be able to make a more educated decision of weather it is benificial for me....

hey Monte have you ever come across a guy on you tube called DJ bolivia ?? LOL

he absolutely bored me to tearsCry a 2 part tutorial on warping a track....TOTAL RUNNING TIME 3HOURS...OMG..LOL
and i still dont know if he ever got to the point of warping a track... hes probebly released 10 additional parts just to talk abit more about him self ZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Monte32 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monte32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 10:20am
No mate can't say I have.
I used to watch a guy called nofx iI think, he was awesome for fruityloops.
Theres way to many bad tutorials out there that can give you a bum steer or not the info you were looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic