Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum > Live-Courses.com Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Please!
    Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 4:02pm
Hey Rob!
Thanks Am nearly finished course one, just about to start the sampling module which am really excited about!! The course is going great my only little problem or where I get confused is on how to include new instrument in my workflow: i have at the moment pc+ableton suite+focurite+genelec.  I have also a drum kit Alesis DM 8 which is linked to my computer via USB.

I would like to play drums from the Alesis kit and record them on a track in ableton ready to be processed.  How do I do this? Do i have to do something in the preference tab and make ableton recognise the Alesis kit like I did for my midi controller? what changes do i need to make on the track itself?

Another question (sorry!!): is it possible let's say to load an Impulse drum kit and instead of playing the kit with my midi keyboard  play the impluse kit through my Alesis drum kit?

Thanks for letting me know! Big smile 

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 10:01am
Hey Bruce,

I'm not personally familiar with the DM8. However, from checking out the specs it appears to have USB MIDI capabilities, so I'm sure you can use it to control any instruments in Live should you want to. I imagine you'd just go to Live's preferences and click on the MIDI tab, then turn on the Track column for the Alesis MIDI input port - this will allow you to record the MIDI notes the pads send.

The next part is making sure the pads are triggering the notes that correspond to the drums in Live's samplers. You never know, the pads may default to C3 upwards, which would mean they can automatically be used to play Impulse! If not, then you may be better off loading a drum rack onto a MIDI track, putting the track into record, then hitting the pads on the DM8 and seeing which pads light up in the rack, then dragging samples to those pads. I appreciate that you may not have got into drum racks yet, but they will probably make things easier as you're not limited to the 8 pads that Impulse has. Plus, as you'll see later on, they offer much better mixing possibilities etc.....

If you want to record the drums from your Alesis hardware into Live then that's a different matter. You'd need to link the audio output of the DM8 to the audio inputs of your soundcard or interface, Focusrite is it? If you just want to record a stereo drum loop then just connect the main output pair to a stereo input on the Focusrite. If you want to record the drums onto separate tracks then you'd need to do multi-channel cabling and routing, e.g. kick going out of output 1 into input 1, snare going out of output 2 into input 2, and so on for the other drums, with separate mono audio tracks in Live with those inputs selected... but I don't know whether you have multiple outputs and inputs to make that possible!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

r
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 10:01am
glad you're liking the course by the way!
scarface View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 12:02pm
Thanks Rob! That's very helpful! I have been waiting for such a clear explanation for some time!!!!Smile I forgot to mention I also have the AKAI pc 40 as my midi controller to launch clips...will this conflict with the alesis?

Thanks for letting me know....

Tonight I will going for the synth module Smile....

Thanks again for all you help!

Take care!
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 10:49pm
No worries!

No, the APC has integrated control so you shouldn't get any conflicts.

r
scarface View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 9:34am
Thanks Rob!
scarface View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 3:50pm

Hey Rob

Thanks for all your help with the DM8 Drum kit...the drum kit has been recognized by my computer and I can see that midi signals are coming in. I have managed to record a little drum pattern with me playing on the DM8 kit. But although I can see the midi clips that have been recorded in seesion view I can't hear anything: (maybe I will re-listen to module 1!!!).

I just want to make sure that I have set the DM8 right:

On my midi track in session view I have: Midi from: DM8- then all channels- then Midi to: what do i choose here? also what needs to be switched on? IN- Auto? (the yellow or orange).

In my preference midi tab: I have midi ports as USB DM8 Track -on and remote-on is this correct?

Thanks for helping me out!!

Take care!

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 5:41pm
Yeah, the MIDI setup is fine (Prefs and MIDI In settings).

The reason you can't hear anything is because the MIDI needs to be sent somewhere. Either you could set the MIDI Out port on the track to the Alesis kit, so that the MIDI notes on the track are sent back to the instrument in order to play it.

Or, if you wanted to play samples in Live rather than from the Alesis kit, then you can add a drum rack to the MIDI track and use the recorded MIDI notes to play that. Best thing to do in this latter case would be to add the drum rack first and then add samples to the relevant pads in the rack that correspond to the pads on your kit, but you could do it this way round by adding the rack after and then importing samples (you'll see the pads triggering when the clip plays so you can work out where to drag the samples)...

r
scarface View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 10:50am

Thanks Rob! got you... (I hope!)

On to the Advanced course now...Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic