Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum > Live-Courses.com Support
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

trouble duplicating clips.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trouble duplicating clips.
    Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 12:28pm
hi first off i am a complete ableton newbie and am only using the intro version at the moment.i am going all right so far with the beginners course but have hit a wall when trying to duplicate a clip using the alt key.every time i try it just moves the clip from one place to another.not sure if i am missing something,i click on the clip then hold the alt key and click and drag but does not work.i am on a sony vaio useing windows 7.any help would be great.cheers paul
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 2:35pm
Hey Paul,

Weird! That should definitely work. The alt-dragging technique is pretty much universal across all platforms and operating systems as far as I'm aware. You are holding down the alt key for the whole time you click and drag with the mouse, and only releasing it once you've released the mouse right? You should be able to use this for clips in both session and arrangement view. Can you use the alt key for other functions on your computer, in other applications for example, to check it's definitely working okay?

Obviously, if for some reason the alt key is failing then you can just use the copy and paste facility in the Edit menu. Clicking on an empty slot and then choosing paste will duplicate the copied clip in Session view, and the song position marker can be used as a locator for pasting copied clips in Arrangement view....

Cheers,

Rob
p mac View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 4:12pm
hi rob i have tried it again,i hold the alt first,then click to drag but nothing happens and if i click first then press alt it just moves the clip.if i press the alt key say on a file on my d/l page the file on the task bar lights up blue and i get a message saying create link to d/l and a shortcut copied file appears so i am assuming the alt key works.looks like i might have a bug in the sofware.thanks for your help and can i say i am enjoying your course.cheers paul
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 6:55pm
Strange! I hope you get to the bottom of it...

glad you're liking the course! 8)

r
Matthew Blair View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:58am
P mac>  Try Ctrl instead of Alt.  
juniormelo View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniormelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 1:08pm
Hey Rob...another question...i just record an audio clip of bass in 4 bars and a second audio clip in 4 bars. Now , i'd like to create a third audio clip with some beats of the fisrt and second audio clips...How can i do that? I'm not sure if my question is clear...but i'm working in clip session of each audio clip and tryng to copy some beats from clip session to a third audio clip and i fail....thank you
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 1:30pm
Hey Jose,

It sounds like you want to record several clips to a new clip on an audio track? If so, then you need to route all the audio tracks with the existing clips on to the audio track that you want to record the new clip into. For example, if the existing clips are on tracks called 1-Audio and 2-Audio and the new audio track you want to record into is called 3-Audio, then you need to choose '3-Audio' in the 'Audio To' option for tracks 1-Audio and 2-Audio (you need to make sure the i-o switch is active in the bottom right corner of the Session View window so that you can see the input and output options on each track). Then, if you put track 3-Audio into record (activate the record enable switch), play the clips on tracks 1-Audio and 2-Audio and hit record on one of the slots on track 3-Audio, you'll record a new clip containing both of the existing clips....

I hope this makes sense! Let me know if not, or if I've misunderstood the question...

Cheers,

Rob
morganlefaye View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morganlefaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:13am
i had the same problem.... and in previous replies.... control key worked for me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic