Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Logic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

minimal bass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drusif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: minimal bass
    Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 9:50pm
hey rob, i saw this tip on the internet and have been trying to do it but cant figure it out

You can make deep minimal basslines by using nothing but an 808 kick sample with a long decay. Tune the kick so that it combines well with your main kick drum and add a volume envelope with the attack turned slightly up, so you keep the boom and not the snap of the kick. Adjust the decay to get the right length. Add a little pitch envelope to the sample with pitch shifting either slightly up or down. This kind of wobbly sound is heard in many minimal productions today.

so i opened the exs and loaded the drum kit, added a little attack and some decay but i cant figure out how to add the pitch envelope, i went to the middle bar settings and the second one in was already set to 'dest'-pitch so i set the source as env 1 and had a play round with it but couldnt really hear any difference in the sound

any ideas

RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 12:27pm
Well, firstly, you're better off using Ultrabeat for this, as the envelopes are much better and there are more of them. With EXS, you need to make sure you're not using a via source in the middle of the router, e.g. so it just says Pitch at the top and Env1 at the bottom. Then, set the modulation amount slider next to these options to the maximum upwards position. Then, if you set all the envelope 1 sliders to the bottom and play the kick whilst moving the sustain slider up and down, you will definitely hear the pitch going up and down....

With the sustain set back to the minimum now, you can use the attack and decay sliders to create upward and downward pitch slides. Remember though that these amounts of time need to be within the amplitude envelope timing or you won't hear anything...

Ultrabeat is better for this as you can change the slope of the envelope and see it more clearly on the display. Plus, if you want to add your own bass tones to the drum then you can use osc 1 in phase osc mode to produce a sine wave of whatever pitch and length you like - this is a much easier way of doing it as you're not restricted to working with the sample's frequencies...

r
drusif View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drusif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 9:11pm
ah awesome, cheers rob. ur a star, will give that a go
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 7:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic