Producertech Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Music Courses & Training > Ableton Live Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Files management

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oberton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Files management
    Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 9:59pm
Hi Rob
May I ask you how are you managing your Files?
Folder organisation, naming convention, etc.
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 4:14pm
Hey

In the Browser, I have a folder called 'My Stuff' that is a folder on my hard drive, which I set up on File Browser 2. File Browser 1 I keep as the Library normally, and 3 as my samples folder.

In 'My Stuff', I have a series of folders: Audio Clips, MIDI Clips, Instruments, Effects Racks, dummy clips...... When I create a good sound or instrument that doesn't quite work with my track or I think I may want to use again, I drag it into the relevant folder to be dragged out again at a later date. Dragging a whole track into the Browser saves all clips and devices, so you can drag either the individual clips or the whole track out as you like. I also keep all my Effects racks and dummy clips of effects progressions in there.

As the folders are growing, I'm starting to organise them more and more, creating subfolders within the main ones labeled with different styles of music or moods, so that I can retrieve the files more easily at a later date.

Does this answer your question?

How do other people arrange and manage their files? Any other Live users want to contribute.......? I'm always interested to hear different methods of working.

Cheers,

Rob

Oberton View Drop Down
ProducerTech Student
ProducerTech Student

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oberton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 4:31am
Hey

Browser 1:  Library
Browser 2: "MyStaff"
Browser 3:  Samples

seems very practicable for me.

(despite my problems with my 'millions' of samples spread all over my harddisk.)

KelvinK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelvinK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 11:40pm
hey Rob, can you briefly explain to a new Ableton user how to assign the browser folders 1/2/3 to existing folders on my drive. I think you touched on this in the video, but I didn't quite catch exactly how it's done.

As for me working in Logic I have two drives - one is specifically for samples with a folder called "samples" that is broken down by genres/styles etc

On the second drive I have "my sessions", which basically contains any projects and associated files I am working on.

Finally, in logic, there's also a folder called "Logic Samples", which contains any audio files I have used in EXS instruments etc.

Oh yah and the original samples drive is backed up to an external drive periodically - call me paranoid :)
Bounce yo body to the box.
RobJones View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 12:45pm
Hey Kelvin,

Sure, you just click on the file browser switch in Live's Browser that you want to assign (number 2 for example), then you navigate to the folder on your computer that you want to assign to it in the Browser below. Best way to do this is to click on the bar at the very top of the Browser (with the magnifying glass on) and select 'All Volumes' from the drop-down list. Then, you'll see any root drives on your system, whether they're your MacHD or C drive on a PC, or any connected drives you're using. Then, you just double click on the drives or folders in the Browser to open them up. So, I would then double click MacHD, which would open up its contents, then double click the Audio folder, then double click the Samples folder, as this is where all my samples are located. Then, any time I click on file browser 2, my samples folder will open up in the browser.

Does this make it clearer?

Cheers,

Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic